Rel 150 or 200

Mark Ward

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Purchase of a REL-Q150e Sub is imminent. Can't stretch to a 201e, but have seen a Q200 within £20 of the price of the Q150e.

I know it's an older model, but is the 150 any better/worse than the 200e?

Mark.

Hi Mark

You´re opening up a can of worms with this one!!!

I´ve got the Q200 and it can be made to sound pretty good with plenty of tweaking, positioning, sticking marble slabs on top (yep! done this!!) BUT the Q150 & 200 are not regarded as the best that Rel have produced.

Demo, demo, demo!! is all I can suggest or it might be worthwhile holding out for a Rel Storm 2nd hand or just budget for a new one (if poss!!).

cheers

P.S I still havent checked the cable length yet, I´ll do it tonight!!!

Hi Jase,

Somehow I expected it would be you that answered me :D
BUT the Q150 & 200 are not regarded as the best that Rel have produced.
A friend of mine who has an almost identical equipment setup & room position to me has just bought a 150e and couldn't be happier with it. This has brought forward my purchasing plans.
might be worthwhile holding out for a Rel Storm 2nd hand
Where I need to put this sub has limited space, the physical dimensions are a concern here. The B&W ASW2500 could also fit there, but that isn't magnetically shielded and would be close to the TV. I did toy with putting a Servo 15 elsewhere in the room, but I think my wife may spot it!
P.S I still havent checked the cable length yet, I´ll do it tonight!!!
Thanks again. I'm pretty sure it'll be 10M though. I already have the 9M phono lead in place & waiting.

Mark.

:D Me again!!

You cant get much smaller than the Q200 (30 by 30 by 30) so if you´re limited for space its a perfect choice.

You could always get the Paradigm, stick a cloth on it and tell the missus´ its a table!!;)

I'#ve never hear the Q150, but as it's got less power than the Q200 I've not be too keen to get one, if I were you.

I've just got a Servo 15 and I also have a Storm III. I guess not being married has it's advantages... Anyway, I tested the Q200 and Storm and found easily in favour of the Storm - goes lower (easily to 18Hz when positioned in a corner) and louder.

However, the Servo 15 goes substantially louder than the Storm III and it also goes lower. I don't think it's as musical as the Storm, but I've not completely made up my mind on that one yet.

Oh, you'll never hid the Servo. It requires more than twice the floor space of the Storm, but is not as tall. Oh, it weighs 41kg in it's akward size box - and I put my hip out carrying it up three flights of steps!

Cheers,

Rob.

I'd go for the Q200 as it has more power. The only thing the Q200 hasn't got is a grille so if you've cats/kids then the Q150 may be a better bet.

Originally posted by robhowell

However, the Servo 15 goes substantially louder than the Storm III and it also goes lower. I don't think it's as musical as the Storm, but I've not completely made up my mind on that one yet.

Rob

Stick with it, you can get the Servo15 sounding more musical, it just take time and tweaking. Don't use my Storm at all now, even for high end Stereo stuff. No need.

re the 200 and 201. I find the Storm and Strata are much better products. However I understand the need for a small and 'limited' sub. I don't think the 201 was a replacement for the 200 however, I think it was a slight changed just adding the cover. I could easily be wrong on this but......

These small subs need power to work well so be careful about buying the 150. As Jase said Demo Demo Demo.

Another consideration should be your room shape. I have owned both the Rel Strata and M&K VX100 but didn't find either of them satisfactory at all. The reason seems be that due to the shape of my living room and position of furniture I couldn't site them against a wall/corner. The Q201 works very well though (I now have two of them, one each side of my TV). I put this down to the Q201 being forward rather than down firing.

See if you can get your dealer to let you demo at home.

Nic,

How have you connected your Servo to your HiFi? I don't like using the X30 between my CD player and AMP because of the possibility of messing with the small signal. I don't have pre-outs on the amp - the amp/pre amp are old NAIM units with those DIN connectors... I'd rather use the REL type high level connection on the X20 controller - although god knows how long it'd take RS to get hold of one!

Any ideas gratefully received!

Cheers,

Rob.

Originally posted by robhowell
Nic,

How have you connected your Servo to your HiFi? I don't like using the X30 between my CD player and AMP because of the possibility of messing with the small signal. I don't have pre-outs on the amp - the amp/pre amp are old NAIM units with those DIN connectors... I'd rather use the REL type high level connection on the X20 controller - although god knows how long it'd take RS to get hold of one!

Any ideas gratefully received!

Cheers,

Rob.

Rob

sorry for the delay. The X30 is very transparent. Pretty well SOTA re a crossover however DINs complicate this some what! There is little difference between low and high level input IMHO. If you can get an X20 it might be an easy route to do else you are playing with phone to DIN leads unless you can use a tape monitor circuit? Tricky one I am afraid.

Don't underestimate the X30 though.

Mark - did you go ahead and buy a rel Q150?.

I was also about to buy the Q150 but was put off at the last minute by many comments on the forums
I am currently subless with £400 in my back pocket.

Mark - did you go ahead and buy a rel Q150?.
Still haven't decided on this one. If I go for the MASSIVE Servo 15 it'll move to my new HT room next year. However, I really can't see it fitting anywhere in my current room. The Rel would be perfect for my current room but would be next to useless in my massive new room. The main problem is that I can't afford a projector yet and my current 32" TV is way too small for the new room.

As far as the Q150 goes.. I'd go for it if I were you, a pal of mine bought one.. got the buzzing.. got it relaced in 2 days and now couldn't be happier. There's evidently been a modification to the design that stops the problem but there are still stocks of the older design out there.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom