Rejoining speaker cable

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dr.Rock, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I just wondered, what happens if I decide I want a longer speaker cable than the one I already have?

Should I buy a whole new cable of correct length (expensive) or just buy the extra bit and add it on? Will there be a drop in sound quality at the break where the cable+extension are joined? Or is there a recommended way of joining speaker cables to preserve quality?

Thanks.

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,505
    I extended one of my cables by soldering the two together then wrapping the join with insulation tape.

Theres no apparent loss of quality that I´ve noticed.

In my case it was only for one of the surround speakers so maybe not as critical as the fronts. As long as its soldered well i dont think you´ll have any problems.

If in doubt, buy a new length of cable.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If the cable isn't too expensive (aka from the handy-mart) buy a new one, especially if it's for the fronts.
    Else extend by soldering and insulating, twisting or using a certain type of terminals isn't that good as it will either not make good contact (the tiny wires spread out and don't touch each other) or corrosion can increase the resistance over time.

4. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dr Rock

You should have no problems following Jase's advise.

One thing to bear in mine though, is to try not to run the "joined bit" next to other speaker cables or mains cables, as the "joined bit" is now a bit more suseptable to interference from other electrical signals in other nearby cables. Although the insulation tape does a good job to shield a small section of the cable, it is not as good as the original shielding of a good quality speaker cable.

This applies more to cables running in parallel with each other, rather than them just crossing each other.

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    One small point I would add is after soldering, insulate the conductor/joint with shrink wrap,(any maintenance electrician will have some to hand).It comes in a variety of colours to facilitate a neat finish and is quick and easy to use. hth