Rejoin party - fringe or mainstream?

I agree, we should have accepted the EU's offer of extending the transition period during Covid.

The transition I'm talking about is Britain changing course, forging a new identity. You could argue that the government should have figured all this out years before - it didn't.

I don't think we can rejoin the EU any time soon, we won't get the same benefits.

We can foster kinder relations and seek better economic terms. I'm all for closer ties to the Single Market. Europe is our closest partner, not Asia or India.
Apart from food stuffs, I can get stuff delivered quicker & cheaper from Honk Kong and Amazon Japan than I do stores in EU countries o_O

I agree, we should have accepted the EU's offer of extending the transition period during Covid.

All sensible heads agree on that.

The transition I'm talking about is Britain changing course, forging a new identity. You could argue that the government should have figured all this out years before - it didn't.

Global Britain. What is it and what does it mean?

Also agree that we should have thought more about it. Right now we have no idea what to do with our "sovereignty". You saw the job advert they put out didn't you? :laugh:

I don't think we can rejoin the EU any time soon, we won't get the same benefits.

Re-joining the EU would be a terrible idea. I think we'll basically be a member in everything but name at some point down the line.

But for now we need to make the best of what we have. Which is exactly what we're not doing.

We can foster kinder relations and seek better economic terms. I'm all for closer ties to the Single Market. Europe is our closest partner, not Asia or India.

Agreed also. Joining the likes of the CPTPP is just folly though. Distance matters, you know this anyway.

In hindsight it would've been a wise move to extend the transition period.

I think at the time when it was rejected, a lot of people were thinking that things would be back to normal this year (or at least getting there). Plus there was a concern about the transition potentially lasting indefinitely. Another aspect is that if you're in an extremely complicated and tense negotiation with no deadline, it doesn't give either party any incentive to compromise.

I think certain people saw it as an excellent opportunity to hide whatever fallout from their rash course of action within the chaos caused by the pandemic.

From their derisory vote share in the Bexley by-election , I'd say definitely the former...

All sensible heads agree on that.

Global Britain. What is it and what does it mean?

Also agree that we should have thought more about it. Right now we have no idea what to do with our "sovereignty". You saw the job advert they put out didn't you? :laugh:

Re-joining the EU would be a terrible idea. I think we'll basically be a member in everything but name at some point down the line.

But for now we need to make the best of what we have. Which is exactly what we're not doing.

Agreed also. Joining the likes of the CPTPP is just folly though. Distance matters, you know this anyway.

There 2 ways it will go. After several more years it will be impossible to deny what a disaster brexit is and at that point the clamour to re-join will be strong, or, as you say, there will be a gradual re-entering of most the EU institutions we left, but no official membership to allow brexiteers to save face.

Either way there is no point in pushing or voting for re-join right now, not matter how much you think it is a good idea.

There 2 ways it will go. After several more years it will be impossible to deny what a disaster brexit is and at that point the clamour to re-join will be strong, or, as you say, there will be a gradual re-entering of most the EU institutions we left, but no official membership to allow brexiteers to save face.

Either way there is no point in pushing or voting for re-join right now, not matter how much you think it is a good idea.

I'm confident it will be this. I'd be happy with that anyway, and it's probably the best we could hope for.

Whether many Brexiters would be I don't know, but seeing as we're already moving that way they'd probably best think about just getting used to it.

We're simply not equipped on many levels to embrace the nationalist dream that Brexit was supposed to encompass. If we'd planned for it properly and only then left the EU, it might have been a far better story. Rushing it through was a foolish populist play.

What will happen is Boris will eventually get the push, maybe next year and we will have the next election against Kier and a different Tory leader on policies, not a Brexit question.

Neither will have anything to do with Re-joining EU. I don't even think GE after that would have any re-join momentum either, so at least 10 years before question might be pushed again.

Re-join party has to exist like Farage/UKIP had to exist as it takes years to build support if its there. 10 years is a long time for stuff to happen, including Russian or China aggression changing the whole world scenario.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom