Reinstalled Vista - 2 Problems

Member 328449

Firstly, whenever I try to boot i get the error message 'bootmgr missing'. However, I can boot when I put the vista disk in, even when I don't press a key to boot from disk. I have tried repairing Vista but it won't sort this out.

Second, I am using a Sony KDS55 TV and can#t remember how to sort the overscan problem out with my 8800 GTX. Please help.

southeastblue

Have your tried formatting/deleting your hard drive before installation and then doing a fresh installation?

I upgraded recently from basic to ultimate and I had problems with drivers not being found but no problems with booting up.

Razor

Distinguished Member
Overscan is done by forcing 1080p in nvidia control panel then select overscan settings which will now be visible. Adjust overscan here, save and exit.

ducattigezzer

this might help you fix it. It's from here if you want to read the full thread

http://lifehacker.com/software/troubleshooting/vista-tip--repair-bootmgr-is-missing-error-251733.php

- Re-run the Vista installation DVD and dont repair, but actually start the install process again.
- You'll get to the point where it'll ask you if you want to install or upgrade. In my case, I couldnt select upgrade since it couldnt see the volume. Brace yourself and click 'install'. It will then magically detect your HD and at this point, cancel the installation and go back to the main menu and select 'Repair'!. Then run 'Startup Repair' and voila - it'll actually detect your HD and fix the darn problem!

hope it helps

Member 328449

OK so the overscan is fixed no problem and I will try the Vista reinstall in a bit. The only other problem is that my net connection keeps dropping now and needs a restart of the router and PC to get it working again.

Member 328449

this might help you fix it. It's from here if you want to read the full thread

http://lifehacker.com/software/troubleshooting/vista-tip--repair-bootmgr-is-missing-error-251733.php

- Re-run the Vista installation DVD and dont repair, but actually start the install process again.
- You'll get to the point where it'll ask you if you want to install or upgrade. In my case, I couldnt select upgrade since it couldnt see the volume. Brace yourself and click 'install'. It will then magically detect your HD and at this point, cancel the installation and go back to the main menu and select 'Repair'!. Then run 'Startup Repair' and voila - it'll actually detect your HD and fix the darn problem!

hope it helps

Keep trying to do that but I keep getting the BSOD! Not having a good time with my PC since I've done the reinstall.

ducattigezzer

don't really know what else to suggest apart from a full install

sorry i can't be more helpful

Razor

Distinguished Member
don't really know what else to suggest apart from a full install

sorry i can't be more helpful

Thats what i would suggest as well. Sounds like you didnt do some thing right the first time. Make sure you reformat the C: partition this time. :)

Member 328449

Here is a bit of an update. No BSOD now so that's OK but when I followed the instructions for the repair it still says there is no problem. Also, the disconnecting problem only occurs when I turn on my newsleecher, other than that it is fine.

Razor

Distinguished Member
Here is a bit of an update. No BSOD now so that's OK but when I followed the instructions for the repair it still says there is no problem. Also, the disconnecting problem only occurs when I turn on my newsleecher, other than that it is fine.

Run memtest to see if your memory is ok.
Also I have had loads of issues with newsleecher, so much so i was looking to dump it. try 3.9 beta 9.

BTW I take it you have loaded your chipset drivers?

Member 328449

Run memtest to see if your memory is ok.
Also I have had loads of issues with newsleecher, so much so i was looking to dump it. try 3.9 beta 9.

BTW I take it you have loaded your chipset drivers?

My Newsleecher yearly sub is up this month so I may have to follow you on that one. I'll try memtest too but there is a different problem now (as I have re re-installed Vista) - Instead of the bootmsg missing crap I now have another failure message stating something along the lines of 'task failed, insert boot disk and press enter to continue'. Putting Vista disk in only works after it has been reset then. Chipset drivers are installed of course- I'm at a loose end with this!

Razor

Distinguished Member
My Newsleecher yearly sub is up this month so I may have to follow you on that one. I'll try memtest too but there is a different problem now (as I have re re-installed Vista) - Instead of the bootmsg missing crap I now have another failure message stating something along the lines of 'task failed, insert boot disk and press enter to continue'. Putting Vista disk in only works after it has been reset then. Chipset drivers are installed of course- I'm at a loose end with this!

Flatten it and start again mate. Before you do that test the memory or at least try and boot with only 1 memory stick in and see if that sorts out your problems. Try all your sticks when testing.

Member 328449

Flatten it and start again mate. Before you do that test the memory or at least try and boot with only 1 memory stick in and see if that sorts out your problems. Try all your sticks when testing.

You mean re install Vista? I've done that twice in the last week! I can't work this out. Going to try and get a newsleecher alternative and see if that sorts my net problem out as that is my biggest trouble.

Razor

Distinguished Member
You mean re install Vista? I've done that twice in the last week! I can't work this out. Going to try and get a newsleecher alternative and see if that sorts my net problem out as that is my biggest trouble.

Do your Memory.

Razor

Distinguished Member
OK. Although I have just tried NZB-oMatci and had exactly the same disconnect problem so it can't be newsleecher!

BTW Remove all your overclocking and test the memory.

When you install vista again I take it your formatting that partition? Also I take it vista is 100% updated. :)

A bit of a long shot here but it could be a screwed vista disc. ie scratched. Can you get another disc to test (ie. do a reinstall)?

gse1986

Standard Member
I had similar problems when i tried reinstall vista. Ended up takin me bout 10 hours, were a right pain. I found one cause is either a boot manager being left over (if you've had linux or out on it). If you aint then it could be the bios blocking changes to the boot manager. check in your bios and disable any bios anti virus or anti hacker settings. If that works, you're sorted :D. By the way once you've done that try doing repair installation then it should realise whats up, if not do a full format and reinstall...

Member 328449

I've sorted these main problems out now and here were my solutions:

The internet wasn't connecting because I had somehow set up some sort of dial up connection instead of a ADSL one and a quick deletion of the connection made Vista find a new one and sort itself out.

The boot problem was caused by my overclocking being left on. I restored the bios defaults and rebooted and it was fine. I know have re-applied the overclokcing settings with sucess.

Big thanks to Razor who as ever gave me loads of great advice over the phone. Top man!

Razor

Distinguished Member
Use Windows XP, Vista is just a pain.

Why is it a pain? I have it on two pcs for over a year and wouldnt go back to xp. It wasnt his vista install which was causing him issues. It was his Bios. ;)

Member 328449

Yeah I've got to say Vista has been pretty good - it was just my errors that have caused this. In my opinion Vista is only a pain on lower specced machines. I would always advise someone using Vista for the first time to make sure they have a decent specced machine - 2Gb barre minimum ram (4Gb preferable for smooth running) and a decent dual core CPU.
The statement 'Vista is just a pain' is very much an uniformed one with no back up reasoning.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution