regular projector or UST?

bittihuduga

i am in the process of converting a attic bedroom to a dedicated cinema room
size of room is 4.2m long and 2.8m wide
i want 120 inch diagonal screen.

spoke to an installer and he suggested sony vpl 290es as it can give 120 for my distance and also need horizontal shift where i place it.

i was thinking of UST too for cost purpose but then the argument of faux vs real 4k is making me inclined with sony for future proofing with real 4k pj.
i watch a lot of 4k disc movies, so full 4k is useful.
my current speakers are basic Monitor audio silver with bk electronics starter sub.

any guidance on which PJ should i go?
should i spend 5k for pj and 1k for screen or go cheaper with UST?

bittihuduga

looking for some guidance here.
i tried few shops in dublin but none of them have any UST in demo.
one store had sony on demo and it looked great.
i have to wire speaker cables in the next 3 days as the plaster board is going up by the builders.
option 1 - if i use UST then my AVR has to be next to UST to minimise the length of HDMI cable.
option 2 - if i decide on regular pj (sony vpl) then AVR will be in the corner.

due to the odd restrictions/limitations i have UST may be a safer bet.
but am i compromising with the quality here?
my viewing is streaming apps and also 4k discs.
any guidance pls..

Vila

If you watch a lot of 4k I'd of thought as well as 'true' 4k than wide colour gamut and HDR would also be important.

UST projectors tend to be aimed at those looking to accommodate projection into a living room setup and willing to accept a few compramises.

Upper tier projectors (like the Sony) tend to have less compramises in a dedicated room.

Any reason your only considering the Sony and not any of the JVC models like the N5 (which as well as true 4k resolution would give you dynamic tone mapping to handle the problems HDR brings to projectors.)

3t3p

290es on high lamp makes a bit of fan noise from what I gather, just something to consider.

I was told it's not like the 40/45/55/65ES models in high which were audible but not too bad.

bittihuduga

Any reason your only considering the Sony and not any of the JVC models like the N5 (which as well as true 4k resolution would give you dynamic tone mapping to handle the problems HDR brings to projectors.)
thank you. i do watch a lot of 4k disc movies, less of tv on it.
i had to stretch budget to 5k for sony....JVC was much higher. hence i settled down to the lowest range of sony real 4k pj.

bittihuduga

290es on high lamp makes a bit of fan noise from what I gather, just something to consider.

I was told it's not like the 40/45/55/65ES models in high which were audible but not too bad.
oh noise is one issue then.
the pj will be almost right behind my head or the couch. if i use eco mode, will it reduce sound?

alebonau

oh noise is one issue then.
the pj will be almost right behind my head or the couch. if i use eco mode, will it reduce sound?
you wont achieve enough lumens for HDR... the 290es will struggle on low lamp for 100" screen let alone 120" you will need high lamp for 4k uhd :)

dynamic tone mapping is a major deal, for more lumens id definitely consider the jvc n5... alternatively go smaller screen and sit closer ..screen size is related to viewing distance in resulting immersion..

UST require quite special screens so would need to consider cost there...

ideally work back from seated distance to size of screen need for immersion you are chasing... that is not a very long room ? what will be your seated distance .

if undecided try aim for seated at 2/3rd room depth .. so 2.8m, beauty with this is you dont then need as big a screen and also allows enough room around you to setup a full 3D audio speaker set.. even just 7.1 as a base speaker set if thats all want to do...

at that viewing distance even a 92" screen will get you immersion to THX spec... if want to go beyond a 100" might get away with but i think a 120" would be a tad extreme !

bittihuduga

thanks for the detailed inputs.
i was not aware of the screen size on low lamp.
i have an attic room of 4.2long but with a sloping roof.
selected sony because it can do 120 at that length and also has horizontal shift that i wanted.

am aware of UST and it screen requirements.
i was quoted 1000 for a screen with sony too.

i will be seated at 3m from screen. please see my room sketch

Attachments

• 2021-09-23_233308.pdf
    228 KB · Views: 40

mb3195

Distinguished Member
at that viewing distance even a 92" screen will get you immersion to THX spec... if want to go beyond a 100" might get away with but i think a 120" would be a tad extreme
Are you talking screen width or diagonal?

I sit 2.75m away from a 122” diagonal, it’s pretty much perfect, id stretch to 130” if I could fit it in, it’s definitely not too big for my distance and anyone who has seen my room always comments on how good the immersion is without being overawed by the size.

alebonau

i will be seated at 3m from screen.

3m is a good distance ... at that distance ... I would myself suggest you pull the screen size back to 100" pretty much bang on spec for THX for immersion. ~ 40 deg.

this will make life easier for you to light up the screen with the sony (which will still need high lamp for HDR) or alternatively also easily consider the jvc n5 if also interests.

selected sony because it can do 120 at that length
keep in mind while sony will do 120 at that length it doesnt really have the light output to adequately light it up for HDR... why suggesting look at another projector ..consider a slightly smaller screen which will still achieve except immersion to THX spec :)

alebonau

Are you talking screen width or diagonal?
diagonal ... and i am talking 16:9 screen and immersion to THX spec (~40 deg)
I sit 2.75m away from a 122” diagonal, it’s pretty much perfect, id stretch to 130” if I could fit it in, it’s definitely not too big for my distance and anyone who has seen my room always comments on how good the immersion is without being overawed by the size.
immersion is a personal preference thing. anyone can run what ever width they like... i am only suggesting because the sony 290ES OP is considering will not light up even a 100" without going on high lamp for HDR and screen size I am suggesting is to THX spec immersion wise :) rather than a personal preference :)

for yourself do keep in mind you run a sony laser with far more lumens to spare to light up a larger screen...

bittihuduga

sorry for being dumb here, sony specs say noise is 26db that is low right? is that on eco mode or regular? if eco, then what is the noise in regular mode?
if i switch sony to normal mode, i will get good pic but what is the noise?
i couldn't find in sony specs or user guide

about the size - i already have a sony 75inch 4k tv with all the speakers and avr in the living room. hence wanna go bigger with 120 inch

alebonau

sorry for being dumb here, sony specs say noise is 26db that is low right? is that on eco mode or regular? if eco, then what is the noise in regular mode?
if i switch sony to normal mode, i will get good pic but what is the noise?
i couldn't find in sony specs or user guide
lowest setting ... it will get louder as you go up in lamp...

about the size - i already have a sony 75inch 4k tv with all the speakers and avr in the living room. hence wanna go bigger with 120 inch
by all means... but will also need a projector that can light it up... the sony 290es wont ...it barely achieves the 30FL needed for HDR with a 100" screen and on high lamp... there is no chance on 120" ! this will hamper 4k HDR result. keep in mind too while sony spec the lamp for 6000 hours thats on lowest setting...bump that to high lamp and life drops dramatically to 1500 hours !

bittihuduga

JVC N5 is around 6500 and SONY590ES is around 7k. not much difference.
would 590 be better than N5?
would it do 120 on eco mode with 4k HDR?

alebonau

JVC N5 is around 6500 and SONY590ES is around 7k. not much difference.
would 590 be better than N5?
you have a far better chance with a 590es,

though id go the JVC n5 because of the dynamic tone mapping it has... it is a major deal with 4k uhd and HDR .. for set and forget results... you can calibrate it lower too down to 22FL probably got a better chance here to go on lower lamp... but it will depend on your projection conditions...and if you factor in a pro calibration :) which id suggest if spending so much pn a projector :)

bittihuduga

hard to find a calibrator in dublin if i am correct..been searching for one to look at my room with attic's sloping roof and still struggling.

Pulse1

i am in the process of converting a attic bedroom to a dedicated cinema room

spoke to an installer and he suggested sony vpl 290es as it can give 120 for my distance and also need horizontal shift where i place it.

i was thinking of UST too for cost purpose but then the argument of faux vs real 4k is making me inclined with sony for future proofing with real 4k pj.
i watch a lot of 4k disc movies, so full 4k is useful.
my current speakers are basic Monitor audio silver with bk electronics starter sub.

any guidance on which PJ should i go?
should i spend 5k for pj and 1k for screen or go cheaper with UST?
First things first is always the screen, so seeing as it's a dedicated room a Woven Acoustically transparent screen with acoustic black backing is a must. You want to do it right from the start, especially for you as you don't have much room width and that way you can put all three front speakers behind it. That's where alot of people make the first mistake by not going down the Woven acoustically transparent screen route especially in a dedicated room. The reason for the AT screen is full immersion from both sound and image as it all just clicks into place like you won't believe until you experience it. You can put any speaker behind an AT screen and if it's a Woven screen they only need to be 1-2" behind the screen but just remember you then eat into your room length unless you install in wall speakers. I would strongly recommend you research and work around the screen first and you don't have to spend alot of money on an AT screen as long as it is completly flat and you can't see the weave from your seating distance. Now you see what your throw ratio is for a projector and then decide what projector would work in your room. Trust me when i say that if then you can only go the UST projector route then an UST projector will work with an AT screen like any other projector and you don't need a special ALR UST projector screen as i have a fixed woven AT screen in my livingroom with an UST projector with no issues. For my room conditions etc an UST projector works for me. Is your room going to be fully blacked out with no ambient light? The reason i ask is because that way you can get the best image out of any projector you end up with. And will also be a deciding factor on which projector gives you the best image regarding room conditions. Look at your room conditions first before deciding on the projector. Im only giving my opinion and others will give theirs but at the end of the day it's your room and you have to get what's best for you, but do your research first.

bittihuduga

@Pulse1 thanks for your detailed guidance about UST and normal PJ.
i have attached main wall pic.
the plaster board is going next week.
as per your inputs-
wire for speaker
plasterboard on that.
keep my MA silver speaker (LCR) and stand in front of plasterboard.
keep my sub which is 40cm
then put a fixed woven AT screen
so i will lose around 10cm for wire + 40cm sub + 5 cm behind screen
so i lose 55cm from the full length of 420 i have.

the room is an attic room with slope and 3 velux windows that i plan to have blackout blinds.

what is the cost of a good fixed woven AT screen - how to find one?

tempImageeEAWzm.png

Yarrow

Novice Member
Since you building a new home theater, a UST with a proper ALR screen will be the better choice.

The benefits include:

1. The sound and image come from the same location.
2. You can place all other AV devices near the projector.
3. You do not need to run long cables/wires which means the installation is straightforward and you can replace/upgrade the projector with less hassle.
4. The projector and screen can be hidden when not in use if you have the proper furniture and screen which help to tidy up and save the space. 5. UST projector delivers brighter image due to the less loss of light.
6. UST represents the better value when you are replacing/upgrading it.
7. UST projectors are far away from you when compare with standard projectors, so the noise is less noted.

However, the main problem of UST is the cost, they are expensive, if you add screens into consideration, the price can be even higher.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom