1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Registry Editing Help please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dsp fan, Dec 5, 2004.

1. dsp fan

dsp fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. can anyone tell me where to turn off HD fast write in regedit to smooth juddering from playing .ts files ?? A suggestion from pulsar on another thread.

2. How do you enable adaptive deinterlacing in registry ?
    a suggestion from the theatertek forum to get rid of combing which i now have??

I have looked through regedit and cannot see anything obvious. All PC gurus well appreciated.

If these are dangerous things to do let me know however really safe currently as i do not know how.
    thanks as usual
    :suicide:

2. dsp fan

dsp fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    17 viewers and no one technical ?? I guess there are a few that might like to do this given the judder and jitter questions on the threads ??

Just raising it up again, thanks and sorry to be a pest

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I read it but have no idea about either of the entries you're asking about. I did a search using REGEDIT on "Adaptive" and found 3, I assumed you'd have done the same and they weren't the ones you want, they're all in ControlSet trees and their use isn't easy to understand.

As for disable fast writes, are you sure that's related to hard disk? I'm at a loss to explain how disabling something concerned with a write operation could affect playback of a file being read.

Indeed, I've never heard of the phrase "fast writes" applied to disk .. are you sure it wasn't in connection with the graphics card and the AGP slot, I've definitely heard of "fast writes" in that context.

4. dsp fan

dsp fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KraGorn, you are my bloody hero !

thanks for responding.

I think you may be correct and i miss understood the post. It appears that AGP fast writes is what i meant. The idea being to get rid of judders on .ts file play backs. If you can point me in that direction that would be great. In fact i can only assume that you might have done this already.

The deinterlacing seems to be a ATI thing, which having done a lot more research i might be able to toggle in the Management Center, adaptive is one of the settings which i guess if you know what you are looking for in the registry you can set it to adaptive as the option.

Look forward to your response, and thanks i have been pulling my hair out trying to get the combing removed from the .ts files which now play smoothly with theatertek and the moonlight elecard codecs, but i now have combing.

Warrington is a little far for a beer, so can i buy you a virtual one. :smashin:

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    AGP fast writes are often controlled by the ATI Control Panel .. go to the SMARTGart tab in the ATI Display Properties, there's a radio button there to disable Fast Writes .. some BIOSes also allow you to disable this but try the control panel first.

My problem with the Adaptive Deinterlacing is that the only settings with that word in their name are in areas which I know little to nothing about so I can't possibly advise what to do. These are in the hardware ControlSet trees.

To find them simpy run REGEDIT, use Search to look for "Adaptive", that's all I did, and make you own mind up what to do. If you have Ghost then it's easy enough to recover from any problems you may encounter, without Ghost you'll have to make damned good notes about what you changed.

If you look carefully you'll see there's a "Device Description" key in the same group as the "Adaptive Deinterlacing", on my system it says "RADEON 9800 PRO" so that's obviously my graphics card .. there's also a "VPE Adaptive Deinterlacing" whatever that is. All in all there are 3 sets of these, I guess you'll have to change them all and hope. :)

:beer: :guzzle: :D

Be interested to hear what results you get if you decide to fiddle.

6. dsp fan

dsp fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what a lot of tosh ! nothing worked, actually most of the changes ie adaptive to 0 and fast write to 0 worsened the affect.

I upgraded to the latest ATI drivers and it seemed to keep it smooth, i still am getting combing in one of the files so i guess it must be the download, rather than theatertek persay.

So back to the drawing board of getting comb free, judder free playback with TT 2.0.5 and all my .ts files.

thanks for your support and quick words Robin.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry to hear those twiddles didn't help. :(

To be honest, I was surprised that Fast Writes were considered a potential problem, but then I don't profess much expertise on the hardware side of PCs.