Registering A New Bike

signs

Ex Member
Reaction score
how much of a ball ache is it ?

I'm toying with picking up a brand new Suzuki DR400 , because it's an enduro bike the Dealers won't register it .

Has anybody ever registered an enduro bike or any brand new bike ?

Cheers

Rob

I'm toying with picking up a brand new Suzuki DR400 , because it's an enduro bike the Dealers won't register it .
Has anybody ever registered an enduro bike or any brand new bike ?

Sounds like the dealers are being awkward with you. I bought a new Yamaha WR450F enduro bike and the dealer (Rocket Centre Blackburn) got that registered.
They did initially say they thought there might be problems getting the bike registered (enduro/homologation/race not road etc so it wasn't supplied with the usual V5 docs from Yamaha) but looked into it properly and confirmed there was no problem getting it registered with the certificate of newness. It just meant a little longer at the DVLA as the bike needed to be registered as if it was an import rather than a new machine iirc.
Unless things have changed you won't need an MOT if the bike is out of the factory/showroom new until its 3 years old. Mine doesn't.

Sounds like the dealers are being awkward with you. I bought a new Yamaha WR450F enduro bike and the dealer (Rocket Centre Blackburn) got that registered.
They did initially say they thought there might be problems getting the bike registered (enduro/homologation/race not road etc so it wasn't supplied with the usual V5 docs from Yamaha) but looked into it properly and confirmed there was no problem getting it registered with the certificate of newness. It just meant a little longer at the DVLA as the bike needed to be registered as if it was an import rather than a new machine iirc.
Unless things have changed you won't need an MOT if the bike is out of the factory/showroom new until its 3 years old. Mine doesn't.

Cheers been having a shop around and have found one place selling the bike at around £200 more than the cheapest place i have found so far .But they want around £300 to register it .

I believe it's around £140 to register a bike ,but not sure if i would need to change the tyres

but not sure if i would need to change the tyres

If its a brand new bike why would you need to replace the tyres? The DVLA do not inspect the bike. This is all just 'new bike' paperwork.
If they are supplied to confirm with enduro regs (as its classed as an enduro bike) they should be road legal anyway. My Yam came with road legal Dunlops. They had an 'e' mark on the wall.

If its a brand new bike why would you need to replace the tyres? The DVLA do not inspect the bike. This is all just 'new bike' paperwork.
If they are supplied to confirm with enduro regs (as its classed as an enduro bike) they should be road legal anyway. My Yam came with road legal Dunlops. They had an 'e' mark on the wall.

Had this email today...

"If you are seriously interested in the DRZ400 I will tell you there are only about 3-4 left in the UK at present with no new stock planned as yet.
Unfortunately its not as simple as a straight registration of this model either. We change the tyres for a road legal pair. We also have to replace the wiring loom, add switches and clock, better rear lights plus tax and registration fees.
Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions." :(

Had this email today...

"If you are seriously interested in the DRZ400 I will tell you there are only about 3-4 left in the UK at present with no new stock planned as yet.
Unfortunately its not as simple as a straight registration of this model either. We change the tyres for a road legal pair. We also have to replace the wiring loom, add switches and clock, better rear lights plus tax and registration fees.

He's talking out of his arse mate.

You don't need lights to register the bike as daytime use only. all it needs is a continous sounding horn i.e. electric or battery driven (not a bulb horn..Paaarrp)

I spoke to my mate...he never actually had to go through the hassle as his had already been done in the past. His problem was the MOT on his had long since expired. he got a daytime use MOt and just needed to fit a horn for it to pass. didn't even need a brake light or a Reflector.

this may be of use...

how to register an off road MX bike on a daytime MOT; it get's your bike legally - Visordown Forum Messages

and this...
http://forums.motester.co.uk/forum7/169.html

Last edited:
He's talking out of his arse mate.

You don't need lights to register the bike as daytime use only. all it needs is a continous sounding horn i.e. electric or battery driven (not a bulb horn..Paaarrp)

I spoke to my mate...he never actually had to go through the hassle as his had already been done in the past. His problem was the MOT on his had long since expired. he got a daytime use MOt and just needed to fit a horn for it to pass. didn't even need a brake light or a Reflector.

this may be of use...

how to register an off road MX bike on a daytime MOT; it get's your bike legally - Visordown Forum Messages

and this...
Daytime MOT - Bike Testing - Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) - MOT Testing Forums

Cheers for that ,i know what your saying but i will use the bike as a commute bike in the winter so need the lights .
years ago i had an XR and fitted a bulb horn for the MOT but it looked W**k so changed it for a battery one :)

Had this email today...

OK what they are offering is to have the bike road legal AND in a fit state to pass a full (proper MOT). That is not required to get the bike registered, but if you are likely to use the bike on the road its really worth considering.

We let the dealer register the bike (which he could do with no issues as its just paperwok) and then converted the bikes (with wiring kits etc) ourselves.

If you are mechanically and electrically minded its an easy job to do yourself, but if not the dealer supplied kits were (when I got my WR) £100 for the kit or £150 fitted iirc. Not far off that anyway so your dealer is charging a fair premium and only you can decide if the total cost of the bike is worth it.

Whatever happens you don't need an MOT for three years if the bike is new so don't get caught up in that unneccesarily. The only thing you need to comply with now (and going forward) is cons & regs 1989 Vehicle Lighting Act which states any bike manufactured after 1989 needs forward and rear facing lights. As the Suzuki has these (they mention fitting a better rear light) then the bike sounds like it would be fine on the road, but if they are hard wired in you would need that sorting before the MOT so they have dim/dip on a switch.

Whatever happens you don't need an MOT for three years if the bike is new so don't get caught up in that unneccesarily. The only thing you need to comply with now (and going forward) is cons & regs 1989 Vehicle Lighting Act which states any bike manufactured after 1989 needs forward and rear facing lights. As the Suzuki has these (they mention fitting a better rear light) then the bike sounds like it would be fine on the road, but if they are hard wired in you would need that sorting before the MOT so they have dim/dip on a switch.

I don't follow this, perhaps you can explain.
How come new bikes need lights front and rear, but older bikes can get a daytime MOT only?
Aren't there any exceptions for new bikes with daytime only use?
Or are you stuck with lights for three years, then go for daytime MOT?

I don't follow this, perhaps you can explain.
How come new bikes need lights front and rear, but older bikes can get a daytime MOT only?
Aren't there any exceptions for new bikes with daytime only use?
Or are you stuck with lights for three years, then go for daytime MOT?

It's a real can of worms. I looked into it in great detail when I had a track bike (race fairings with no lights) as I wanted a daytime mot for that but after a lot of research and getting confirmation from serving Police Traffic Officers I did track days with I decided against it. Its also the reason I had the wiring kit fitted to my WR at new as I knew I'd get enough interest from the Police simply riding it on lanes/roads around here (Peaks).

In a nutshell ...

---------------------

ANY bike manufactured after 1989 needs to comply with the Road Vehicle Construction and Use Regs 1986 - namely (here) the Vehicle Lighting Act 1989 (Amended 2005). This act stipulates what is required to ride on the roads legally from new and the key point is that bikes manufactured with front and rear facing lights must have them fitted and operational to be legal on the road.

The only motorbike exceptions to this rule are trial bikes (as in Dougie Lampkin style).

So, to be road legal you need to have front and rear facing lights if you use it on the road. This is for any motorbike, the only exception being trial bikes.

---------------------

The MOT has no bearing on this as it only comes into play three years after new and is only a certificate to say the bike has met some tested criteria for one particular test one day a year.
In this threads case the MOT would become important if the OP bought the bike as it stands with hard wired lights. It will be fine for 3 years, but would then need a lights switch fitting (plus horn/reflector/numberplate light etc so basically a wiring kit) to pass the MOT.

The fact that some garages will issue daylight mots confuses things as technically they are not legal (unless you have a trial bike or an exempt vehicle such as Combat vehicle, incomplete vehicle proceeding to a works for completion etc).
Some garages (who issue daylight mot's) will refer to the grey area created by trials bikes exemption or may say its the MOT criteria thats important - where you only test whats there on the day of the mot. So no lights present = you can't test lights.
In this threads circumstances the OP would need to remove the lights from the bike to get a daylight MOT or completely obscure them. (Although obscuring/taping up would be to the discression of the MOT testing station as some will insist on testing anything physically on the bike).
To be fair to Garages/MOT Stations the onus is not on the garage issuing the MOT to bother whether the bike is road legal above and beyond it meeting the criteria of the MOT test.

I have quite a few mates that have ridden on daylight MOTs with no problems so despite the law the chances of getting prosecuted based on this nowadays are very slim. We don't generally have enough Police to worry about and your every day Policeman is unlikely to know this act well enough anyway. You would need to get stopped by a clued up Traffic Officer. It wasn't a chance I wanted to take as the Police are very keen around here on the roads and in the last 18 months on the (green) lanes aswell.

I've only personally heard of two people being done - One mate got stopped by a Policeman in Derbyshire who knew his cons & regs (no lights on bike/ daylight MOT) and got a fine and points iirc. The other was a guy riding a sports bike with no lights/ daylight MOT. He was involved in an accident with a fatality (not him) which a friend (a serving Traffic Officer) attended. His insurance were arguing against his claim as they said the bike was not road legal and he had not informed them of it being modified from original spec.

Like I said - Proper can of worms! ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom