1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regions on DVD Writer Drives?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dogastus, Jan 18, 2005.

1. dogastus

dogastus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My present DVDROM drive has a region lock on it. As far as I know, its firmware can't be updated to make it region free. I just wondered what the state of play was on current DVD Writer drives. Are they region free, or if not can they be patched to be region free? And for RCE disks? Lastly, what are the recommendations on DVD writers?

Thanks for any help.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    First, understand that region coding only applies to pressed, commercial DVDs, you don't burn DVDs with a region lock, indeed burners CAN'T burn such protection since it's written on a part of the DVD media that burners can't see.

DVD writers are region locked when it comes to reading, just like read-only drives, so things like RCE crippling also apply.

Depending on your needs the best solutions are to either rip DVDs and play them off the hard disk, using a free tool like DVD Shrink, or to use a cheap utility like AnyDVD (the one I use) or DVD Region Free to remove all protection and annoyances like unskippable ads, trailers, warnings etc.

I think the current favourite burner is the NEC 3520, there may be a region-free hack but they're not without their potential problems which is why I prefer a software solution .. one reason to flash a hacked firmware is to remove the rip-lock but then if you don't rip dozens of DVDs in a day that's hardly a big issue IMHO. :)

3. dogastus

dogastus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your help, Robin, I will give that software a try. I knew that region coding was only applicable to commercial pressed DVD's but I thought it might be an excuse to get a new DVD drive which happened to be a writer as well!

Nigel.

4. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    AnyDVD has done the job for me, I haven't had to do anything to firmware to get R1 discs to play on my DVD writer.

5. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had the same prob with my Pioneer Writer for months, until I came across DVD REGION KILLER - Works perfect no more probs now!

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I wasn't sure, and since recently someone asked a similar question because he believed he'd read something about an ASUS burner that indicated region coding affected DVD writing I'd better make sure you weren't under the same impression. :)

7. dogastus

dogastus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks guys. I've just tried AnyDVD and it works like a dream :thumbsup: