1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regional Differences in hardware?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gizmoboy, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Gizmoboy

Gizmoboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Hope someone is able to help me out with this one.

I returned from Dubai 2 weeks ago. Whilst there, I attended the Gitex technology fair. Denon had a stand there and I saw the selling price for the AVC-A1XV (not the little brother!) & DVD-A1XV was equivalent to £2600 & £1600 respectively. These are much cheaper than in England. Bottom line - might there be hardware differences or differences in specification to account for this. Or do Denon sell "universal" products?

Thanks in advance,

Gizmo

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sometimes models are different, even they carry the same model number. But then again sometimes they are not different, even they are (much) cheaper elsewhere.

Denon, as Yamaha and some others, makes different models (not all but some) for different markets, sometimes it's just the power supply (110/230V) or supported video standard (PAL/NTSC) that differs, but usually the differences of the specs are not that big to explain the great differences in the price in different regions, which are usually more due to taxes and other local "conditions".

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Many Arab countries use UK standards for power, video etc. At the end of the day the best way to find out is to look at the back. A serial number speaks volumes to the right people.

4. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I can give one example off the top of my head - the US version of the Denon AVR2106 upscales svideo iirc to component - the UK one doesn't.

Maybe wherever you were has high tax or something?

5. Gizmoboy

Gizmoboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies...

Next time I'm in Dubai I'll visit the dealer and pick his brain.

Regards,

Gizmo