1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regional coding

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by haf, May 28, 2002.

1. haf

haf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all !

First post in hcpc. After reading many posts regarding dvd set up and pj's I am interested in using pc for dvd playback. My only problem at present is it is r2 only. Looking through comments and helpful sites I discovered that my Hitachi 2500 dvd rom drive is region free. Operating system is windows 98 which again allows for unlimited switching between regions. Software is zoran softdvd which is listed in player settings as r2 and is coded internally.

Is there anyway to get around this problem or do I need to purchase different software ?

Henry

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi haf. You could try DVD Region Killer . It's similar to DVD Genie, but doesn't touch the DVD player software. Instead, it intercepts & modifies the region query that your drive sends to, in your case, Zoran.

I remember using Zoran a few years ago....it used to be shipped with Diamond Multimedia cards I believe & was then replaced with SoftDVD. Have to say, I don't think it'll be as good as one of the more popular modern software players. If you can afford to spend a little dosh, I'd recommend going for something better.

Cheers,

Mark.

3. haf

haf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Shockabuku.

I tried your suggestion and loaded killer but when i try to play dvd I get disc authentication failure - reboot & try again. Taskbar shows enabled, auto region & autostart. Is this correct - Any ideas ?

If changing, which of the software players would you recommend ?

Henry

4. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hrmmm...not sure why you're getting that problem...never seen it myself. I'm sure you already have, but it might be worth confirming that your drive really is region free by using this utility . Alternatively, it could just be that Zoran can't work in this way.

As for which software to use, depends on your setup. If you need to decode the DD/DTS signal within the PC, then either PowerDVD or WinDVD will do the job (I use PowerDVD). If you're simply gonna send the bitstream to an offboard processor/amp, then TheaterTek is considered to be the best one out there.

Cheers,

Mark.

5. Pygmy Hippo

Pygmy Hippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the problem is with the drive not being region free then check out:

http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/

They have firmware's for most popular DVD drives - remember though - when u flash a drive's firmware it is possible to knacker it (not too likely tho)

Good luck anyhoo...

Steve