1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regional coding question..

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Zog, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    At the risk of sounding daft.......
    I understand (though disagree) with the idea of regionally encoding new releases.
    But why is the same applied to much older films?

2. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beside the complication of deciding whether a release is "new" or not - e.g. different release dates across countries in the same region - I suspect the main reason is to control distribution for copyright purposes. Some discs (I've heard ;) ) contain extras such as documentaries, trailers e.t.c which would require additional licensing from the producer of that material from broadcast in other markets. The rating system varies wildly worldwide, so the regioning acts as a bodge to get round that as well.

What annoys me is when a DVD is released in one region, and not in another "they don't think it's appropriate to that region". Who makes those decisions!!

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,381
    I think the main reason is to control the market/prices.
    An other could be censorship, but that sort of falls down with numerous countries under one regions banner, and the variation in censorship.

4. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,188
    The way I understand it having read a few explainations is that region coding came into being as a way of controlling the films distribution on DVD whilst not interfeering with the release of the movie in theaters across the globe.

Typically films are released in the US first, 6 months or so before Europe and Japan which are 6 months before Asia etc etc.

12/18 months after the US Theater release the DVD is pushed out for the America/Canadian home user.

What can happen as a consequence is that someone in the US has the opportunity to own their own personal copy before say someone in China has even had the chance to watch the film in the cinema, thus loss of cash to the studio's.

This in itself isn't the problem the problem seems to lie with the possibility of cashing in on the time difference.

Also,

According to OpenDVD.org, DVD players with region codes are illegal in New Zealand. Additionally, DVD regions are rumored to violate certain World Trade Organization laws.

Si

Doesn't explain why they apply the same restrictions to older films though:confused:

5. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Surely part of it lays with the rights to distribute the movies in different parts of the world being sold to different companies.

Also many movies are more marketable in some regions than others, this leads to the distribution rights for moives being sold in some regions but not others.