1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regional BBC on Satellite ??

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Darbyweb, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Darbyweb

Darbyweb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a read through the forums but cant find anything...

I receive BBC Anglia region on terrestrial, BUT BBC London on Satellite. On local news when i press blue there is no Anglia/Look East...

Is there a digital channel for BBC East ?? If so where is it ?

If i get a Freeview Box for FTA channels, do i get Digital BBC East or not ?

Thanks

Dean.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The BBC are going to expand their regional news programming on digital satellite fairly soon, I assume when the complete the move to 2D and sort out the EPG issues with SKY.

Can't help you with DTT but I assume you will get the same regional news as you would via analogue terrestrial.

3. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the end of May, the BBC plan to broadcast all BBC1 regions in the clear on DSat. This means that you will be able to watch Look East, Look North, LDN - whatever you like. How this will be implemented is not yet known - the BBC wanted an option in the menus to allow the viewer to put their chosen region onto channel 101, but Sky are saying they can't/won't do this. So it looks like it will be BBC London on 101 and the other regions in the 900s. Better than the "press red" nonsense IMHO.

For DTT, as a rule you will get the same region you get on terrestrial e.g. if you get BBC East on analogue terrestrial you will get BBC East on DTT. If you're in an overlap area you may find your strongest DTT signal is not from the same transmitter, but this is unlikely.

4. Darbyweb

Darbyweb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply guys, not long to wait then hopefully.

I have line of site of the Sandy transmitter which broadcasts BBC East, so should be ok for DTT

Dean.

5. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Personally, I do not understand why BBC have not done this already ITV works properly. I live in Swindon where both HTV and Central can be received via an Aeral, and this is what we get on SKY......

:nono:

Ian.

6. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ITV pay Sky to use their conditional access system which costs a considerable amount of money. This allows the correct region to be allocated to channel 103 depending on your postcode, then an additional one or two regions in the 900s if you live in a overlap area.

The BBC also currently use CA to allocate BBC1 Wales, Scotland etc. to 101 depending on your postcode. This costs them money, but they had no choice at first because they wanted to stop people outside the UK watching the BBC. They now have the opportunity to move to Astra 2D which has a tighter footprint, so less chance of people watching who shouldn't be i.e. non licence fee payers.

Basically, the Beeb now have the opportunity to broadcast in the clear saving them money so that is what they are going to do. How they sort out which region goes onto 101 we don't yet know.

7. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Not all the regions are broadcast on Sky either.I only get Midlands news,the East Midlands is not available via Sky,on BBC or ITV yet.

Local news is almost as analogue via DTT.It's just the 5 minute afternoon news that becomes London News for some reason.