1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region1 The Great Escape

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Home PC Nut, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Home PC Nut

Home PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Just finished watching this all time classic film for the first time in 4 years & thought I'd post my findings here whilst it is still fresh in my mind.

1: There is a 7-10% discolouration band on the extreme left hand side of the frame running through the entire movie.

2: Within this band you can visibly see on at least 5 occasions the set lighting & some stage hands/cameraman.

I suspect that on previous home video transfers the film was usually P&S so this never showed up.

I do not remember my 1990's NTSC Widescreen Laserdisc being at the same aspect ratio as the DVD so can only assume that the newest transfer MGM did was at the correct aspect ratio thus causing the glitch to become apparent. Previous Widescreen releases must have been blown up slightly to hide the problem area.

Either way this is very shoddy treatment for such a classic film & I can only hope that it is fixed on subsequent releases.

Has anyone else noticed this?