1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

region1-region2??

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by keyser, Jul 30, 2000.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Which do in general offer better quality region 1(pal) dvd´s or region 2(ntsc)?? Region 1 dvd´s have a higher resolution and they and run at 50hz, but region 2 have a lower resolution but run at 60hz and are to some extent available in DTS, is this correct? So wich is better?

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Generally, R2 (pal) have a slightly better, smoother picture. But you'll only see it on a BIG telly. I don't see it on my 32inch W/S TV, but can JUST see a difference on my 7 foot projector screen. Also, as far as I know the only DTS title available on R2 is: the Eagles - Hell Freezes Over. DTS is becoming more widely available now on R1. There are discs such as Bowfinger & The Bone Collector on R1 which have DD 5.1 & a compressed version of DTS on the same disc. While not 'full on' DTS, these are the easiest route to compare the 2 formats side by side. In my opinion at least DTS is the winner. BUT if I listened to one disc one day & the other format the following day, I would struggle to find a difference!

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

No such thing as R1 PAL, R1 is the US and Canada, this is all NTSC only. The US have the slightly lower resolution and at 60Hz (30fps) and so movies can suffer from frame judder due to the 6 repeating frames, (cinema masters are at 24fps) but the picture is smoother due to the higher refresh.
    R2 can be either PAL (most of Europe and UK) or NTSC (Japan), PAL has a slightly higher resolution but runs at 50Hz (25fps) and so can appear to flicker (especially in the bright lights or sunlight).

You are not going to notice much difference on standard tvs. It's only when you get up to 40" + tvs that you may notice the difference due to the lower resolution of NTSC, but PAL flicker becomes more apparent the when you use large screens.

Does your projector have a line doubler as that can make the lower resolution of NTSC less apparant.

The answer really is neither (neither are perfect), beacasue it all depends on who made the dvd and how well mastered they are.

If you are talking about a non-anamorphic NTSC and anamorphic PAL then the difference will be more noticeable.