1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region1 / NTSC playback - help needed!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by boostii, Jun 20, 2003.

1. boostii

boostii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hello,
    Sorry to drop in looking for help on my first post and all that but I'm a bit stuck. Last year I bought a Multi-region Sony DAV-S500 from Richer Sounds. I connected it to my Sony KV-28FQ75 U televison and all was well. I have just tried to play my first Region 1 DVD and the picture flickers from colour to black and white every few seconds but the sound is fine. Is this likely to be a problem with the multiregion conversion or something to do with the NTSC output from the DVD player. As far as I can tell the TV should handle NTSC and indeed Hue adjustment appears in the menu so it seems to think it is recieving NTSC. The manual is vague and mentions NTSC compatability for "Video In only" I assume that this should include my S-VHS Scart input?

Any suggestions what to do, please?

Thanks in advance :hiya:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    I have heard that NTSC and S-Video often don't work together.
    Can you output an RGB signal from your DAV? If so then this will give a better PQ and will hopefully solve the problem. Else try a composite signal just to see if you get a stable picture. All these should be sent via a fully wired scart lead and selectable within the DAV's setup menus.

Mark.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    ....and, ideally, the connection from the DVD to the TV should be direct - not via the loopthrough on a VCR for example.

As for SVideo and NTSC not working together - this is the technique I use all the time, without issues.

Have you got your TV input 'set' to look for an SVideo signal on the relevant SCART socket - it's not always needed, but some TVs require you to set them up like this.

PS: Welcome.

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Sony televisions now come with the scart sockets ability to play NTSC through s-video disabled, which results in the type of problems you are experiencing.

My friends' KV36FS70 had the same problem, but was corrected by entering the service menu and going into the "Special Adjustments" page. This listed the option "NTSC Auto Y/C" which was set by Sony to "OFF". This was then set to "ON" (this option will appear more than once, probably twice, for each of the s-video capable scarts). Exit the service menu and turn the tv off. When you turn the tv back on again it will have no problem displaying NTSC via s-video.

It can be quite risky going into the service menu as there are settings than can seriously screw up your tv if you're not sure what you're doing. If you don't feel confident about doing this yourself, see if there are any engineers that will do it for you, as it is a very simple job and shouldn't cost very much.

Regards,

Bob.

5. boostii

boostii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks I have read with interest and gone back to the TV to have a play. Unfortunately the DVD player has no RGB output but I put a composite lead into the very same scart socket the S-VHS was previously in and guess what - the picture was stable! (although PQ is not quite as good as the S-VHS.)

It sounds likely my TV may be like Fatbob's mate's. I have no idea how to access a service menu :confused:although I would probably be brave enough to try.

Could I get some confirmation that if I got this adjustment made to the service settings the PAL input would still be OK?

Otherwise it looks like I'll be messing about swapping cables before I settle down to watch an R1 movie each time :rolleyes:

6. boostii

boostii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just done what fatbob suggested and it is sorted - thanks. Got the info on Sony TV service menus from the sticky thread in Televisions forum :) Only took me a minute to do!