1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region1 Gladiator killed my PC!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.D, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Ok further to my HTPC set-up question I swapped my powerdvd for a mates windvd as I'd heard this gave better performance under W2K. Windvd IS actually much better in comparisson to the point of being viewable! So thats solved one problem.

However I threw the region1 gladiator disc into it as I'd been using this whilst tweaking with powerdvd.

It kills my machine stone dead! And I mean DEAD! ie it nuked the kernal so bad it was unrecoverable. The only recourse I had was to reformat the HD and reinstall W2k (pain in the ass as I've got an ATA100 harddrive and W2K doesn't fly with a suitable 100driver meaning I have to plug the drive into a bog standard ata66 port to reformat and install then swap it back. (yes should have dumped them drivers on a floppy I know alright!)

Did all this got the machine back together (took about a day!). Last thing that night I threw the gladiator disc back in not really believing that a dvd could cause a terminal systems error. Bloody thing ate itself AGAIN!
    Same error same totally nuked machine.

Got it back together the next day (only took me three hours, practice makes perfect and all that) Windvd plays Video Essentials and others fine . I suspect the PC Friendly thing on the gladiator disc but understandably I've avoided playing other discs with this feature.

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr.D,

Why not buy a copy of Norton Ghost and ghost the Harddrive so that you can do the reinstall real quick from CD [​IMG]

Do you positively must have W2K? I intend to run WinME, Win98 and W2K on mine until I've had a chance to check them all out (using Partition Magic).

Regards Neil.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Good idea never thought of that. I'll be getting a scsi based RAID array at some point though in the meantime that could be useful.

I needed either NT or W2K. W2K won out because of the USB functionality.(and games) I'm surprised to say I quite like it! It is surprisingly stable in use (and I'm used to a unix network) After a bit of tweaking games run nicely too. DVD was just the last thing really (its really just for future possibilities at the moment although it would be nice to capture material for showreel purposes).