1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region 'unlocking'?

Discussion in 'PS Vita Forum' started by zazwaldo, Jul 31, 2005.

Tags:
  1. zazwaldo

zazwaldo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it possible to 'unlock' the region of a PSP much in the same way I multi regioned my DVD player?

2. Simebaby

Simebaby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not as far as I'm aware... at the moment though, games are not region coded (e.g. so US games will work on a Jap PSP).
    UMD movies are region coded, US is region 1, Jap is Region 2, which is the same as the European version when it's released.
    Edit: From what I understand, two PSP's from different regions can play wireless games together - However, I believe that each player needs to have the same region of game to play wirelessly - i.e. if you buy a US version of a game, then your mate will need a US version as well to play wirelessly.

TBH I'd recommend the Jap one over the US, just in case sony decide to region encode games as well (there's no suggestion of them doing this at the moment, but I imagine that it's possible).

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,939
    That might not save you though, if they start to encode games then there is no reason to believe that Japan and the UK will use the same encoding for games, after all they dont for the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube.

4. dodger747

dodger747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Havn't Sony promised not to do this, and will penalise any publishers attempting to do so?

5. SeedyR

SeedyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    The reason ps2,xbox and cube japanese games don't work in the uk is because they are ntsc, something which doesn't matter when it comes to the psp.

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,939
    Are you sure about that as NTSC is only a picture format and both JPN and the US use NTSC but I am pretty sure that a JPN PS2 game wont work in a US PS2 console without modding so there must be something more than the picture format stopping the games from working.

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    NTSC and PAL DOESN'T matter. Its a PORTABLE, not a home console that plugs to your TV.

Movies are locked. Games aren't. Above about wi-fi gaming is correct

8. GeorgeShadow

GeorgeShadow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HAA~ you guys always just dreaming and begging for something does not exist~ yea, guess you ppls always want region locks just to isolate yourself out of the rest and pretend the stuff to be your own stuff~ else, there is no reason to hope for that at all as you are not the business man who wants to bound the market.

There is NO region locks for PSP games, so stop talking [mod edit - swearing not allowed on the forums]. and yes, I perfer the Japan console as it is originated from there and the games are way nicer than the stupid sports games from the US (that's all they can do by making their own games~ :thumbsdow haha)

9. BuFF DaDDy

BuFF DaDDy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    EH???

:boring:

10. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    anyway region locking on home consoles is a stupid thing for regions to boast on who has the best sales

similar to equally stupid Sony Europe v Sony America contest. Both won't promote each others games, even though they work for the same company.

Like Twisted Metal (I know its not made by Sony) is getting delayed to Oct here. So Sony Europe's Fired Up gets a heads start. I think I can make my own mind up boys. Or like god of War not getting decent advertising here

11. dodger747

dodger747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    What!?!?!?!?!?!?
    If you actually read the topic he was talking about UMD movies :cool:

12. zazwaldo

zazwaldo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The reason I ask is I have a jap psp at moment but ammoving to US to work for 6-12 months is it unreasonable of me to want to buy movies etc whilst working abroad? Or do Sony want me to buy another console perhaps!

13. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    just order them from Lik sang you don't have to buy locally

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    What?? As far as I am aware the PSP does exist and all the OP is asking is whether a region unlock has been released yet (as they have for virtually every other region locked item)

Eh?? Why would having a region unlock (I presume you mean that anyway) isolate someone from the 'rest'? Surely the PSP is still my 'stuff' whether it is region locked or not? Can you explain how a PSP fails to be mine just because it has had the regions unlocked on it?

Insulting comments are not allowed on these forums. You even didn't bother to read the thread before your insulting comment. We are all aware that the PSP is not region locked for games. The post related to UMD's.

What?? You just say that PSP's are not region locked for games (which is correct) and then you say you prefer the Japanese PSP because you don't like US games!? :confused: You can play all regions games on each PSP so you can still play Japanese games on a US PSP if you wish. Your comment therefore doesn't make a lot of sense. Also most games released for the American PSP are ports of the Japanese versions anyway.

15. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    about the games; where are the RPGs?! For Sept 1st, we're getting drowned in racing games. Wipeout. RidgeRacer. WRC. Colin McRae. Toca. Midnight Club 3. Fired Up doesn't really count.

yes I'm aware of the 1 RPG, (can't remember name), but it doesn't interest me. Oh well, GTA and PES in Oct to come and distract me...

16. GeorgeShadow

GeorgeShadow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yo~ I did not said having a region unlock will isolate someone from the rest, I am saying that having a region lock on consoles or games will isolate you out. Of course, if you are only thinking region boundedly, you are always with the rest. But if you can view it globally, region locks on games like PS2 has no useful purpose at all EXCEPT to bound their markets and force ppls to buy their own local games, or translated dubbed so called licensed games (to prevent you from buying import games internationally). It is just all about business, and to some people, it is just a meaningless gimmick for them to try to make the games sound like being all created by their own kind.

And yes, I prefer the Japan PSP, because it is originated from there, and the reason is just personal. I just don't like the US PSP, cus they are just ripping off the other's achievement and reproduce them and making those to sound like their own product. Even if there is region lock on PSP, I would still prefer the Japan one as I mostly play japanese games only. The english games are just stupid, and the good ones are all translated from japanese only (plus usually there is a stupid waits for the much much slower release)

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    :rolleyes: The PSP is a Japanese product made by a Japanese firm called Sony. They are all manufactured in the same place (Sony's factories in Japan and China) in exactly the same way. Sony export some of their PSP's to different regions (such as the US and soon Europe) and the units that are officially exported to those regions are region locked when it comes to UMD films (NOT GAMES).

Therefore the PSP you buy in the states is exactly the same as the one that you would buy in a Japanese shop apart from the US one plays region 1 films and the Japanese one plays region 2 films. Both come from and originate from the same place and both play exactly the same games. So it matters not which games you prefer (japanese titles or western titles) as you can play either on any PSP.

There is only really 1 viable reason to buy one regions PSP over another and that's for the playing of UMD's. Currenly US UMD's sell for less so people who are going to watch a lot of UMD films would probably be better off with a US model (as things stand). Apart from that there is no other reason to favour either region. :smashin:

18. tom_g

tom_g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    for RPG's you could try the snes emulator as there are plenty of classics to keep you happy

19. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    1) All PSPs from now have firmware 2.0 on them = homebrew is a no no
    2) I don't care, 'cos internet is all powerful
    3) I'll just have to keep myself busy with sport + racing games 'till the RPGs come next year. Sigh.