Region playing question

HD DVD has no region coding. All discs will play on all players.

Iff HD DVD is region free,then why is THIS site advertising there HD DVD's as region "A" that can only be played with north american players ?

Also seen them advertised on Ebay as region 1/A.

:confused:

Chris

Iff HD DVD is region free,then why is THIS site advertising there HD DVD's as region "A" that can only be played with north american players ?

Both PlayHD and the people advertising on Ebay are wrong. Only Blu Ray has region coding at this time. I have discs from France, UK, Germany, US and Japan and all work on a US machine.

There's no region coding in players or on the discs themselves.

Both PlayHD and the people advertising on Ebay are wrong. Only Blu Ray has region coding at this time. I have discs from France, UK, Germany, US and Japan and all work on a US machine.

There's no region coding in players or on the discs themselves.

I had a gut feeling on that but wasn't sure "they had to be wrong" or they presumed that because the hd dvd was sold in america, it was region coded to america.

Chris

Chris

They are idiots who don't know what they are doing. Mean while the rest of us use HD DVDs from around the globe. Think where you put your money.

The region coding may apply to the SD element of the disk which will be region locked, however the HD is region free:smashin:

The region coding may apply to the SD element of the disk which will be region locked

Naah, it is just a web site that needs 'correcting' and using the correct terminology. If they were refering to DVD then perhaps the term to use for US discs would be region 1 or just sourced from the US, region A is a very specific term for BD discs currently which has nothing to do with either HD DVD or DVDs.

Are these sites not correct when referring to combo discs?
e.g. Children of Men
If you purchase from the states the SD side of the disc would be R1

You are correct. Combo discs should be marked as to which region their SD-DVD sides are.

Combo discs from the states should be marked R1 for the DVD side. This site talks about region A which is a meaningless term for BOTH HD DVD or DVD.

XA1 will only play a 'region 3' disc if it hasn't been encoded with region 3 (which many have been 'not encoded' like the lovely DeltaMac releases). I.e the disc is actually a region free (0) one but came from a country that normally supplies R3 discs. A region 3 encoded disc will report a wrong region message.

Just to summarise:
The European Toshiba HD DVD players will play SD DVDs that are:
1) R2
2) R0 or all regions
3) PAL
4) NTSC

The US Toshibas will play SD DVDs that are:
1) R1
2) R0 or all regions
3) NTSC

PAL playback on the US players is, IIRC from some research we did a couple of months ago, not possible.

Just to summarise:
The European Toshiba HD DVD players will play SD DVDs that are:
1) R2
2) R0 or all regions
3) PAL
4) NTSC

Wonderful news! I have a Toshiba XE1 on order and was fully expecting just R2 + PAL playback. With its exceptionally good upscaling of SD-DVD's this was quite a bummer for me.

I bought lots of import DVD's, especially the better titles. Now, until a region hack exists, I can always just rip my favorite R1 and R3 discs to PAL/NTSC R0. :clap:

I wonder how good my region-free (component 480i/576i) Arcam dv27a will do against the XE1 on the JVC DLA-HD1 (also on order). Anyone compared these yet? :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom