Region Locking on 4K UHD Blu-Rays being Introduced?

Garioch

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone. I was under the assumption that it is physically not possible to region lock a 4K UHD disc. However, I watched this video (released today) from "Films at Home."

He has provided examples (only a few) of 4K UHD discs (not standard blu-rays) now being region locked. Has anyone faced this from the titles mentioned in that video?

Hypothetically, if region locking 4K UHD discs was possible, then I wonder if it would work in the same way as standard blu-rays. For example, I have a multi-region Oppo 203 player; I wonder if that would work at playing region locked 4K UHD discs (guess there's only one way to find out).

Vila

Sadly there's nothing hypothetical about it, there has been a thread on bluray.com about the problem since November.

Certainly seems to be done using the exitisting Blu Ray region locks

t-force

Ugh! I thought we were past all this rubbish - why start introducing locking now? As for your Oppo, it looks, from the video, that the 4K discs follow the same pattern as BDs, so you might be lucky....

featherhall

Distinguished Member
If this nonsense comes in then I’m finished with physical media. There’s discs only available from oversea territories that I have and likely to continue to want.

MrSynner

Although region locking is a bad idea - all the studio is doing is making an already niche product even more niche - it isn’t surprising - the movie industry is dying on its knees, and like the music industry before it, rather than listen to its customers and adapt (how long did the music industry fight downloads and streaming, despite their customers clearly telling them they wanted it) you fight them tooth and nail and drive what few customers you do have away by refusing to take the money they want to give you. And then no doubt bleat on about piracy killing movies.

Anyway, so, what are the UHD regions then - same as the Blu-ray ones?

mckee74

Distinguished Member
As above, this is basically click bait.

I think it's like three discs, and from countries you aren't likely to buy from for films which are distributed by multiple distributors. There is nothing to worry about.

4K UHD Fan

Would not worry about it at all.

Hollywood studios are rapidly contracting & many will either merge or go bust as cinemas are unlikely to open this year. Physical media revenue streams are keeping them afloat right now its unlikely they want to limit the few discs they do sell as $20-25 billion a year global physical media sales is way better than no income whatsoever from discs!!

I can see prices rising though sooner or later they will do that to try & recover some additional income being lost to the pandemic!!

Garioch

Distinguished Member
Mountain -> Molehill

Also, stop giving that bellend traffic.
As above, this is basically click bait.

I think it's like three discs, and from countries you aren't likely to buy from for films which are distributed by multiple distributors. There is nothing to worry about.

I'm not fussed about the video really, it was the only reference I could find on the discussion relating to 4K UHD region locking. Although I do agree that it seems to be a non-issue for now.

mark6226

Although region locking is a bad idea - all the studio is doing is making an already niche product even more niche - it isn’t surprising - the movie industry is dying on its knees, and like the music industry before it, rather than listen to its customers and adapt (how long did the music industry fight downloads and streaming, despite their customers clearly telling them they wanted it) you fight them tooth and nail and drive what few customers you do have away by refusing to take the money they want to give you. And then no doubt bleat on about piracy killing movies.

Anyway, so, what are the UHD regions then - same as the Blu-ray ones?
Absolutely right. 4k bluray sales in the UK are extremely low already. Commercially its another flop following on from bluray.
Exactly the same mistakes have been repeated with 4k bluray as they were with bluray. Lack of availability combined with very high prices have kept bluray a minority market. I've had to buy a multiregion bluray player so I can have many of the movies I want from the USA.
We also have many 4k bluray already not being released in the UK. And now the possibility of region locked 4k bluray enters the fray.
If the studios wanted to kill intentionally kill off physical media they couldn't have done a better job.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom