1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region Locked DVD Drive - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by GearHead, Jun 24, 2002.

1. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Liteon 163D DVD-ROM Drive and noticed that the instructions indicate that the region code can only be switched 5 times.

Does this mean that the only practical way around this would be to buy another DVD drive and have one set permanently to Region 1 and the other set to Region 2 ?

Or is there some other trick to this ?

Allan

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Allan

My drive is now locked to region 1 :(. you can flash your drive and replace the software with a multi region version, I have not done this yet, I haven't the bottle yet, take a look at Farzeno

Or you could buy a multi region drive from www.overclockers.co.uk they do a populer Pioneer drive for about £44.

Pioneer drive here

3. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    or you could try the region free software that I mentioned...

worked for me on a Matshuita 710 combo dvd/ cdrw drive.

4. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim,

Thanks for that. Just popped over to the Farzeno site and found my drive there but don't fully understand all the info. Not sure if the firmware version they have for my drive makes it multi-region, doesn't say that it does, I think its just offering me the latest version. It does have a utility to force region switching but I think thats going to lead me down the path of ending up with a region locked player.

I must study that site a bit more I think.

Allan

5. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    is there an echo in here? (2 posts... 1 has now disappeared?)

looking at the site, you should be fine Gearhead.

the 163d is listed as having RPC1 firmware available,
    plus a utility to switch off the drive locking... so no problems at all.

after that, you should be able to run DVD Genie to do the region changes for your software player.

the dvdidle trick is handy if you didn't want to have to install the new firmware.. some PC manufacturers specifically say they wont surport this, Evesham for example have it listed in the small print for their ads.

6. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't panic - it's dead easy. I've flashed 2 Liteon 163s.
    If you need help or advice, drop me a PM. I'm on line throughout the day. I'll mail you the actual software I used, if it would comfort you to know it works....

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Yeah good idea this one crops up a lot and we should maybe post some info about firmware flashing.

What you need to do is create a bootable dos floppy with the relevant region utility copied to the disc. You can create a bootable dos floppy quite easily inside windows 98 etc but its a little trickier inside W2K ( don't know about XP ) I use W2K so I just downloaded a dos floppy generator ( will post back exactly what one) ran it which gave me the floppy and then copied the downloaded rpc utility for the drive to the disc. (got the url from someone on this forum)

You then boot from the floppy (you may have to change a setting in your motherboard bios to allow this: basically get it to boot from the floppy first rather than from your HD with normal OS) then once you get the dos prompt type in the relevant execution command for the utility with necessary option flags ( its simple there will be a text file that normally tells you how to use it or just typing the basic command will sometimes give you usage on screen).

Once its run then reboot the machine ( changing any options in the bios that will return the machine to boot from the HD if necessary) and once the OS is up run an rpc detection utility ( dvdgenie has one built in). Your drive should now be RPC1 (unlocked). you then need to have a piece of software that resets the region change counter in the OS. Dvdgenie is again a popular one but I actually use regionkiller as I find the auto region select works flawlessly using theatertek and is much simpler than dvdgenie).

You may also find you need to install an aspi ??? layer under W2K to detect the rpc setting on the drive itself ( I did this myself installing one I downloaded from adaptec although I don't think this is necessary for anything beyond detecting the drive state: apart from changing the region code and hoping for the best or watching the region change counter for the drive not count down. It didn't produce any ill effects in any event)

There is the possibilty you could knacker your drive during flashing if something untoward happens like a powercut but hey its worth the risk .

8. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply. I think I've got enough info now to have a go. Richard, I assume its the region-free flash utility you have for the 163. if you could mail a copy to me (or post a link) that would help no end.

my e-mail address is: allan.probin@btinternet.com

Martin, I'd like to try flashing the drive and see how that goes first, it seems to be tried and trusted with the Liteon 163. I'll give DVDidle a go if I come unstuck.

Allan

9. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you should be fine...

I've only had to use it because my drive was RPC2 locked... yours is not.

10. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to say a quick thanks to all that input on this subject.

I can report that I now have flashed by toshiba drive to RPC1 running windows ME and it now plays all regions via DVD Genie.

It was so simple in the end, or I realised I was simple. Eitherway, saved me much heartache not having my laptop stuck in Region 2 anymore.

Ahh will be watch a film in bed again now...................

Rgds

Nathan:D :D :D

11. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks also for the tips, i guess I will have to have a go at flashing my BTC drive now.

12. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    :confused: Help I can't do it. how do I create a bootable dos floppy in win98? I have copied the files to a floppy, is that what you mean? but when I set my bios to boot from a:\ I get the message "invalid system disc" I then just tried it in command promt from the safe mode menu I type mtkflash.exe which is on the floppy and i still get get a bad command file line.
    I guess I must be doing something wrong.

please help :confused:

p.s do I also have to use the upgrade.bat in dos after flashing? sorry but I can find any instructions on the Ferenzo site.

13. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nfordenfield - glad you got it sorted.

Timh.. not sure. sounds like you are missing some files so not bootable. I'm always pretty lazy and just use a canned one off bootdisk.com for this sort of thing.

14. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim,

The Windows 98 installation CD is bootable, you could boot to DOS from that by telling your BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM drive. Saves the hassle of creating a bootable floppy.

If you want to create a bootable floppy, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and click on the "Startup Disk" tab.

Allan

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    yep I used dos622 from bootdisc.com on W2K to make a bootable dos floppy worked fine then just copied the flash utility executable over to the floppy.

16. Just_Dabbling

Just_Dabbling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In future, Windows 95,98,ME and XP all have a boot disk creation utility.

Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs displays you a tab called "Startup disk", just click that then the button that says "create disk".

You only need download a bootdisk if you are using Windows NT, or 2K

Hope this helps