1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region hacks - quick question

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by RL123, Jul 4, 2003.

1. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My boss asked me to look for a multi-region hack for his machine (Akai, not sure on the model number though)

Anyway I eventually found some Akai hacks for several models. I just want to check they're 'safe'. The last thing I'd want to do is mess up another person's machine. There were four codes; three were like the one below and the fourth is below that.

1. Press the Open button on your remote control to open the drive tray
    2. Press the buttons 3, 8, 3 and 8 on your remote control, in order, one at a time
    3. You will now be in a secret menu where you can change the region to 1 for region 1, 2 for region 2, and so on, or 9 for multi-region playback.
    4. You may also be able to disabled Macrovision from this menu
    5. Press the I button on your remote control to exit the menu

1. Press the on/off button on the player to turn it off
    2. Press and hold the buttons Eject and A-B together, and then press the on/off button on the player to turn it back on
    3. When the text A:00 D:12 appears on the units display, release the Eject and A-B buttons
    4. By pressing the Play button to increase, and the Stop button to decrease, change the value of A until it reads A:05
    5. By pressing the Skip-Forward button to increase, and the Skip-Backward button to decrease, change the value of D until it reads D:00 for region free, D:01 for region 1 or D:02 for region 2, depending on your preference
    6. Press the on/off button on the player to turn it off
    7. Press the on/off button on the player to turn it on

This one sounds a bit 'dangerous' and the site gives a warning

"Be incredibly careful when playing with the settings below, you can do a lot of harm if codes are set wrongly, and not even the service manual lists the correct codes needed to fix any mistakes!"

So if his model is one of the three with the basic code input, and not the complicated one I've given at the end, will it be 'safe' to try? If, for some reason, it doesn't work what's going to happen? Will it affect his machine in any way or will it just do nothing and be back to normal? :confused:

Thanks (and sorry if everyone seems to ask this kind of question) :D