Region Free

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by lisbonlion, Mar 24, 2006.

1. lisbonlion

lisbonlion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Right, now that Sony has announced that PS3 will be region free for games, Microsoft must surely make all developers leave region coding out of their games. Especially if it is only released in say the US or Japan. If they dont do this then microsoft is going to lose out big time, i for one will have no hesitation about purchasing a PS3 even if the only difference was the region locking. I bought a 360 and i want to play 360 games. PC games aren't region locked so why doesn't microsoft insist that xbox games aren't too.

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Ah, we wish. For some reason region locking still exists as archaic as it may seem. Not sure I'd go as far as saying I'd buy hardware purely because it doesn't have region locking, but it's a plus point for sure. I'm with you hoping MS say it's no longer necessary.

3. lisbonlion

lisbonlion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Well if they were smart they would tell the developers / publishers to no longer lock the games. Why let Sony use it as marketing leaverage over them. It has always annoyed me, especially when we are supposed to be technologically advanced, yet we still get told that because you don't live there, you shouldn't be able to play any of their games.

4. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    The whole region thing just seems unnecessary now in the age of downloading and compatible tvs, I think we must be close to the end of it all. Not entirely sure what advantage MS would have to hold on to it now...?

5. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,820
    Yep, it's something I'd certainly like to see, and who knows, Sony may have done as a huge favour with that announcement(kind of like laying down the gauntlet).

Fingers crossed M$ might follow suite, now that would hot up the pricing competetion for the UK online retailers:)

Personally I can see it being quite likely, I mean I'm sure M$ would like to take as much wind out of Sonys sails as possible.

6. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Err the xbox 360 is region free just like the xbox1 - its up to the games companys to decide on if they include region coding or not.
    Quite a few 360 games are region free eg...
    Blazing angels
    GRAW
    COD2
    RR6
    DOA4
    Tony hawk
    etc etc.

I'm guessing that Sony so called annoucement is just them copying MS again and what they really mean is the region coding will be upto the games companys.

7. lisbonlion

lisbonlion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Yes we know that, but what i want is for microsoft to ensure all games that are release officially in only one territory to be region free so that people can import them if the company feels the market is not big enough to warrant a full release elsewhere.

8. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,773
    Although it's up to the developers to region lock software on the Xbox and 360, surely there must be something in the hardware to lock it to, because some US NTSC games don't work in Japan and vice versa despite them both being NTSC territories (I've not experienced this with PAL territory games)?

Am I right in thinking that Sony's region free announcement means there will be no way to region lock software to the hardware because there won't be such parameters in the hardware?

Either way I think it's a great announcement by Sony and will hopefully set a trend for the future.

Before Ninja Gaiden Black was released, censored Ninja Gaiden, all PAL territories, or as it should be Ninja Gaiden, all NTSC territories?

9. Dazzyman

Dazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Sony have said the machine is region 0 its up to the publishers to put region lock on or not like the xbox360 so its no different. Its the developers at fault unfortunetly not the hardware. I think so far most if not all Japanese 360games are region locked but theres a certain amount of USA games what arent (and PAL) and those games will work on any xbox360. NTSC and PAL formats dont come into it anymore its what territory there in for region locking and the developer decides whether to lock it or not, Japan and USA are classed as different territories even though there NTSC (its the same with say PS2 games even though the PS2 is hardware protected but the PS3 and 360 do it via software checking for territory). Stuff like PAL and NTSC should really become a non issue now anyway with High definition format.