region free

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by grayson, Apr 17, 2004.

1. grayson

grayson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a NEC dvdrom drive and Im running powerdvd 5, how can i make it multi region. Its linked up to my plasma via DVI I have Soundblaster Audigy 2 card will I get better picture and sound from a standalone player. Thanks

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    In general you will get a much better picture from your PC than from a standalone player.

Without spending a lot on the player that is.

To get this you want to get 1:1 pixel mapping, ie the resolution you set your PC at is the same as the panel resolution of your Plasma.

ATI Radeon based graphics cards are widely considered to be the best for picture output from a computer for DVD use. Although there probably isn't a huge amount in it.

I use a piece of software called AnyDVD to make my DVD drive region free, it can also run most DVDs drives slower to make them quiet. But as Kramer has pointed out there are lots of options.

Cheers
    Marc

4. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
  5. fishyuk

fishyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. grayson

grayson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried to play a rental dvd and it just spins and makes a clicking noise all of my purchased dvds play fine, what could be wrong?

7. grayson

grayson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Geforcefx 5600 how do i get 1:1 pixel mapping

8. fishyuk

fishyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

are you saying that you can't play a rental DVD since you installed one of the region free programs (ie DVD Idle) or that you can't play it full stop. Seeing as your drive is likely to be R2 and any UK rental DVD will also be R2 it sounds like a duff rental disk.

Can you even see the rental DVD in windows explorer or is it totally unreadable by anything?

9. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Depends on your plasma resolution. You basically want to set the PC to output the same resolution.

I suggest doing a search on Powerstrip which is a little program that is often used to get custom resolutions as in general your drivers will only allow the usual 4:3 settings.

Cheers
    Marc