1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region free PC dvd

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve Stifler, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    My hard disk crashed a while back and a replacement had my old software loaded. Again, I have Win DVD running under Windows 98. Previously I was able to put in either a Region 1 or Region 2 disk, and it would play no problem. Since the new hard drive, I have been warned that the next disk will fix the player in that region. How do I get this nonesense to stop and play what I want.

Sorry if there is a blindingly obvious answer, but forum members help would be appreciated please.

The Stiffmeister

PS Thought he Bristol show was OK, but managed to miss the What hifi and Tag PJ set ups

2. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    As the only change was the harddrive I wouldn't have thought that this was a dvd drive problem. This points to software which can be made region free by using either DVD Genie or DVD Region Killer (my preferred option as it's transparent in use)

Good luck
    Alex

3. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Steve
    Download this tiny file which will tell you if your dvd drive is region free or not.
    http://www.visualdomain.net/ go to downloads then "Drive Info"

Ken

4. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Alex / Ken

I tried the digital Domain thingy and it told me I have a PioneerDVD -116 1.07, with a number of user and manufacturer times to change the region left. After that I downloaded and ran the DVD region killer, but I can still only play R1 disks. It gives me an error message 8090000E and wont let me play R2. Any ideas on how I get around the region lock which appears to be on the Pioneer?

Tar or you answers so far.

Stifler

5. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548