Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Region Free on XP (or not?)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DaveP, Mar 20, 2003.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've had a problem solved in another forum regarding playing DVD-RAM disks on a PC so that's sorted. However, I'm now trying to play "proper" DVDs. I have a large selection of Region 1 and Region 2 films that I may wish to view on the PC ('cus my wife doesn't like them!)

My setup is this:

Hollywood+ (to output DD5.1 and S-Video)
    Toshiba SD-M1712
    Windows XP
    PowerDVD XP (For watching on the PC only)

When I put a DVD film in to play using the software player I get a message saying the drive is region locked. I searched for this message and it appears that the software player locks the region.

It suggests Drive Genie, which I have downloaded, but this gave me a BSOD and a reboot!

The Hollywood+ plays the FBI warning and then shuts itself down!

I've tried Region Killer and another prog who's name escapes me at the mo!

Drive Info tells me there are 4 changes left on the drive. On this subject: I've downloaded a new firmware to make the drive RPC1. Has anyone used this and does it work ok or is there a risk I'll trash the drive?

Is anyone else using this setup?

Thanks for taking the time to read all this!

DaveP

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes best to flash the drive, it'll allow unlimited no of changes to the drive.

If you flash the drive incorrectly it can screw it.

Do a search for "stevegreen" user and "firmware" title, it'll show some info there.

goto www.firmware-flash.com

for various make/model and firmware versions (original and hacked)

I've flashed my drive (Pioneer 106S, no problem and now can change without locking it out)

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Flashing the firmware should be straightforward enough as long as you follow the instructions carefully. Try here : http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

If you're using a Hollywood+ you should find that 'Remote Selector' or 'Zone Selector' should sort the problem for DVD Station. Try here: http://www.hplus.hu

Hope this helps.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help guys, everything has been working fine. Sorry I forgot to give you an update!

Anyway, I have another question now!

I was thinking of changing the OS to windows 98se and things are ok until I try and use the PC to play DVD-RAM disks that I have recorded on my HS2.

These play OK through DVD Station (by opening a file rather than playing as a DVD) under XP but when I try to use the disks under 98SE it just appears to be a blank disk with no files on it!

Is there a fix, or a driver,so that 98 will recognise the filing system used by the DVD-RAM disk?

Thanks

DaveP

5. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Before you flash your drive try DVD Region-Free from http://www.dvdidle.com/
    I use it on my laptop, as the DVD player is also a CD rewriter, and I did not want an expensive mistake.

The file system is UDF (Universal Disc Format)
    Drivers are available from http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#download
    Look in InCD utilities for a file called EasyWriteReader.exe

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips, I'll give the easywritereader a try.

Cheers

DaveP

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gab2001uk, easywritereader installed ok but I still cant see the files on the RAM disk, this is no big deal really - just a bit frustrating!

I'll upgrade to Me and see if that does the trick

Thanks anyway

Dave

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I put 98Me on last night and it doesn't read the DVD-RAM disks either so I've gone for an XP installation. During the install it actualy states "support for DVD-RAM media" Just as well really as I'm running out of options!

Thanks

Dave