1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region free DVDRW + how to copy DVD onto HDD?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Lighty, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Lighty

Lighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    hi guys

i'm looking to buy a DVDRW drive thats easy to unlock region on....
    i have an NEC 2500 but don't want to risk it really!
    i need a black one that easy + riskfree to upgrade the firmware - maybe a pioneer? (i had a 108 dvdrom tha was easy to do!)

also looking to copy some of my original DVD's onto HDD as a start to tinkering with HCPC
    is there an easy way of transfering and then watching

thanks for any help

sean

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Lighty,

I've got a couple of the pioneer DVDRWs, I've had no problems at all installing the new firmware on them to make them region free. Don't have one myself but their newest model is a dual layer one so that would probably be a good idea.

As far as ripping goes I go with dvd decrypter (http://www.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?act=download) and I've never had any problems. It can rip an image of the disc or the files themselves. I just rip the files to their own directory and play them with zoomplayer.

HTH
    Owain

3. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not sure why you think the NEC 2500 is any harder to flash than a Pioneer or any other drive for that matter? There is always a small risk reflashing any drive but many people have flashed this drive without any problems. There's even an update that will allow you to convert it to a 2510 (dual layer). Have at look over at www.cdfreaks.com on the NEC forum.

I second the dvddecrypter recommendation, an excellent free product.

4. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I use AnyDVD for region removal and DVDshrink for ripping. Really easy and has never failed me.

5. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I personally wouldn't risk flashing my drives unless there was a big gain in performance. If it's just region free that your wanting to achive then a program like DVD Region Free or the formentioned AnyDVD (that I currently use with my Lite-on dvd drive and my NEC 2510 dvd-rw drive, and is an excellent program) will do the job for you without the risk :smashin:

On the ripping side of things DVDShrink is my choice, really a quality (and free) program. They have a good website with easy to follow guides on how to use it here:- http://www.dvdshrink.info/

You might also want to read through this thread which is a sticky in the DVD Talk section of this forum, it mentions alot of the programs available for ripping duties and other sites to help you on your way http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85202

Regards,
    Iain.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    LiteOn drives are my choice, for the sole reason that LtnRpc can be used to reset the region code and counters infinitely, meaning you don't have to mess around with flashing region free firmware or use AnyDVD/DVD Region Free if all you don't need their added features .. I do use AnyDVD for things like the 'play movie immediately' feature.

Note that Nero 6 has an updated version of DVD Shrink in the form of Nero Recode, which is a little easier to use but Shrink is more than sufficient if you don't have Nero.

7. Lighty

Lighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    thanks guys

i now have dvdshrink - looks pretty good at ripping to hdd.
    haven't tried playing back yet though...
    i'll look at anydvd - i thought you had to unlock the dvd drive before using a software tool like dvdgenie..
    i'll keep looking

cheers

8. Lighty

Lighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    oops forgot....
    do this work for say LOTR as well - it being split over 2 dvds....

9. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The main advantage of Reflashing is ability to remove the 'riplock' used on many DVD drives. This allows the drive to rip DVDs at full speed instead of the X2 limit used on my drives. I don't believe this can be done with software.

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    BBD: You're right about the rip-lock, I don't rip enough DVDs to be bothered about it. :)

Lighty: DVD Shrink can be used to join the two parts but unless you want to mess with editing the IFO files they'll play back as two separate titles and you'll lose things like Scene Selection with the second part.

AnyDVD is more sophisticated than DVD Genie AFAIK, it'll work on a normally region-locked RPC2 drive.

11. petecowie

petecowie
    R.I.P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    just wanted to give another recommendation for anyDVD, set every dvd rom/writer I have ever tried to multi region, removes macrovision and allows copying of dvd to hard drive for playback, also allows copy.... err backup of copy protected audio cds