1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region for DVD writer

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by shyam_banerjee, Dec 21, 2004.

1. shyam_banerjee

shyam_banerjee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Could anybody help me with this ? I had purchased an Iomega DVD writer. I have heard that the firmwire does not allow to write DVDs of different regions as many times as I would like to. Is there any way to find out how many times it would allow me to change regions if it allows it at all ? I had contated the technical support of Iomega but they say that their software is meant to write only home videos and they would not discuss about writing DVDs of different region because they think that is same as giving advice on piracy. Is it possible to find out how I would be able to write DVDs of different region and what software should be used to decrypt and then copy the DVDs.
    Thanks,
    shyam

2. blahblah

blahblah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    You cannot write region restricted disks
    Anything you record will be region free.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Shyam .. Iomega's response was of course crass, it would have nothing to do with piracy.

As pjclark says you can't write a protected DVD, but why would you want to?

Your question about region code changes applied to reading of DVDs, the region code for a drive can be set 5 times by an end-user. After that, it's possible for this counter to be reset by the manufacturer, though I've never heard of anyone successfully getting that done for them. The counter associated with this reset is set to 4.

Thus, in theory you could reset the region 20 times, but I doubt that's ever been done.

If you have a LiteOn drive there's a freely-available utility that can reset these couters.

5. shyam_banerjee

shyam_banerjee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you everybody for your suggestions and responses. The link given by Blahblah was helpful but in my case the equipment I would be using is an external DVD writer and the setting of the regions would probably be governed at the firmwire level. Would it be easy to control it with software as in case of a PC’s operating system. I did not understand what is meant by region restricted or protected discs. I was talking about the film DVDs of different regions. Regarding the technical discussion I was having with the Iomega guy, he said that it is only permitted to write home made DVDs with the software provided and writing store sold DVDs would be a piracy and he would not help me in any advice regarding that. That is why I thought I would ask in this forum J. I am also a bit worried whether it would allow me to write DVDs other than home videos using a different software which I think it should. What do you think ?
    Kragorn, could please help me in understanding how I can change that 20 times without going to the manufacturer ? What I understood reading from their manual was that it was only possible to change it 4 times and the last DVD that is read should be the region in which I would like the region of the equipment to be fixed. Because it would not allow me to read DVDs of other regions after that. Could you also elaborate a bit on the LiteOn drive. I have heard that it is dangerous to flush the firmwire because it could damage the equipment for good. Is it safe to make such attempts ?

This is what I found on the iomega site :

Regional Differences in DVD Players :

All DVD players are assigned a region code. Your QuikTouch Video Burner can only play DVDs that have the same region code as the QuikTouch Video Burner or that do not have a region code. Your Iomega drive may not be set to your region by default. The first time you insert a DVD-Video, your DVD software may prompt you to change the region code of your drive. You will not be prompted to change regions again unless you put in a DVD from a different region. If you are unsure which region to select, consult the map below.
    CAUTION! Although it is simple to change the region code of your QuikTouch Video Burner, you should avoid changing it after the initial set up. The region code of your QuikTouch Video Burner can only be changed four times. After four times the region code will be permanently set to the last region selected.

http://www.iomega.com/support/manuals/dvdquicktouch8x/main.html

Thanks,
    Shyam.

6. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Thats reading not writing. When creating a DVD vidoe file you can specify the region code. This can then be written to your DVD writer.

If you are reading DVD discs that have different region codes then get something like AnyDVD - a piece of software that will bypass region coding.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You can set a region code when burning a video DVD? I believed the Region Code was an intrinsic part of the CPRM system (if that's the right acronym) that uses CSS for encryption, and that system is only available to commercial DVD pressers.

Certainly I've never seen anywhere in Nero where you could set a region code.

8. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can in shrink DVD. Set it to any region you want (or regionless)

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No, the 20 times was 5 times from new, then in theory you can take it to an authorised dealer who has the ability to reset that counter .. this resetting process in turn is limited to 4 times.

In the case of the LiteOn specifically, the utility doesn't re-flash the firmware completely. I've used it a long time on several different drives. AFAIK, since it's not a full firmware re-flash then the potential problems such a process can cause, ie. if there's a power failure during the process, won't apply.

That said, I still use something like AnyDVD or DVD Region Free most of the time, the reset utility is just something nice to have. :)

10. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    No not when burning - its part of the file creation process - details are held in the .ifo file I beleive.

11. shyam_banerjee

shyam_banerjee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you tell me how the AnyDVDsoftware would work ? Because when I have inserted the DVD into the external DVD writer it has started communicating with the computer it is connected to. Does it then automatically recognise the presence of AnyDVD software on the machine and then bypass it by running the software or is any other setting required ?

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    AnyDVD takes over the low-level reading of the DVD, software such as DVD players don't know it's there and think they're reading the DVD directly. AnyDVD can thus remove region protection, remove annoying things like the inability to skip over ads, trailers, copyright warnings etc. and can even be configured to make it look to a DVD player like TheaterTek that there's only the main movie on the DVD.