Region B, 24fps movies @ both 50hz/60hz

jamonbread

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty late to the party with Blu ray as a format, but I was under the impression that region B Euro releases of movies shot in 24fps, would sync at 60hz using 3.2 pull-down on all region B players.

I have some locked region B releases of US movies, as well as some region free ones, and my display reports some as being 50hz, and others at 60hz, even though they're all shot at 24fps.

My display doesn't have 24p support, so I'd be right to expect 3.2 pull-down?

I have a region B locked British movie, Attack The Block, my display reports 60hz signal, but a region B locked US movie, Near Dark, outputs at 50hz to my display by default?

Have they been speeding up some region B European releases, or is it my Blu Ray player maybe?

Standard US equipment doesn't support 50hz so any 50hz discs will be strictly non US.

The majority of Bluray discs will play at 60hz if your gear doesn't support 24p however there are exceptions including mostly tv material shot at 50hz but there are a few movies out there (usually from local labels rather than the Hollywood studios) where the disc will be 50hz.
I don't think there's that many overall.
The Dutch boxset of all 4 I Spit On your Grave movies for example are all 50hz..

For the discs that are in 50hz they will suffer from the old "PAL" speedup although sometimes they can be pitch corrected so you don't notice too much.
As European gear has supported 50hz and 60hz for over 2 decades there's no real need for any Bluray movie to be 50hz and I suspect it will be just down to the format of the master the releasing company receives.
You may not be aware that many discs out there will often have a movie at 24p(60hz) with bonus features at 50hz.

Standard US equipment doesn't support 50hz so any 50hz discs will be strictly non US.

The majority of Bluray discs will play at 60hz if your gear doesn't support 24p however there are exceptions including mostly tv material shot at 50hz but there are a few movies out there (usually from local labels rather than the Hollywood studios) where the disc will be 50hz.
I don't think there's that many overall.
The Dutch boxset of all 4 I Spit On your Grave movies for example are all 50hz..

For the discs that are in 50hz they will suffer from the old "PAL" speedup although sometimes they can be pitch corrected so you don't notice too much.
As European gear has supported 50hz and 60hz for over 2 decades there's no real need for any Bluray movie to be 50hz and I suspect it will be just down to the format of the master the releasing company receives.
You may not be aware that many discs out there will often have a movie at 24p(60hz) with bonus features at 50hz.

All the movies are 1080p 24fps films (If they were 50hz, they'd be 1080i from my understanding), its just that some of the movies are resulting in my player outputting a 50hz signal, while others are putting out an expected 60hz.

I went into the players display settings, which was set to multi output.
When its set to multi, NTSC dvd's output @60hz, and my PAL dvd's output @50hz automatically, which is nice. I also then discovered that all the same Blu rays would then output at the expected 60hz? The downside is that when its set to NTSC out, my PAL dvd's output at 60hz with some very noticeable stutter.

I wonder what's causing the player to behave like this, I didn't think Blu ray players could convert 24fps 1080p movies to 50hz during playback.

Are you sure they are all 24p? Look at the stats on the back.
If the Near Dark is the Spanish release it could be 50hz if its one of the many Spanish bootleg releases as the UK Optimum disc is 1080p.(back of the Spanish release says 1080p)
Do you have a Toshiba player by any chance? Or any other budget make?
The cheapies are known to have various playback issues although they are usually the cheapest option for multi region Bluray

Multi output should ensure 50hz is output at 50hz. Try the disc in a PC and see what the stats come back as if the back cover insists its 1080p

The frame rate a film is made in guarantees nothing when it comes to home video

Last edited:
Are you sure they are all 24p? Look at the stats on the back.
If the Near Dark is the Spanish release it could be 50hz if its one of the many Spanish bootleg releases.
Do you have a Toshiba player by any chance? Or any other budget make?

Multi output should ensure 50hz is output at 50hz. Try the disc in a PC and see what the stats come back as if the back cover insists its 1080p

The frame rate a film is made in guarantees nothing when it comes to home video

I don't have a Blu Ray drive on my PC, but the Near Dark BR only has English audio as options, also has the UK BBFC, along with the Irish age classifications on the cover. Its rated for 1080p on the back cover, and its an optimum home/studio canal release (I'm pretty sure its not a bootleg)

District 9 region free BR disc, but UK classified version, is also getting 50hz on my display when set to multi output, but again 60hz when set to NTSC? Hellboy 2 is the same, as well as a few other BR disc like django (region free disc).

My player is very budget, its the Seiki SB36K1U, and even though it has poor construction quality, it does a surprisingly good job of up-scaling DVD's.

The only thing I can suggest for this odd behaviour is that you need to change your player. These cheapies are notoriously unreliable. You can get a Panasonic new for £69 from Amazon. I would expect all your problems to vanish if you play the discs on a Panasonic

Strange that its only ever the real cheapies that offer a full standards conversion from 50hz to 60hz and vice versa. Results in poor quality of course

The only thing I can suggest for this odd behaviour is that you need to change your player. These cheapies are notoriously unreliable. You can get a Panasonic new for £69 from Amazon. I would expect all your problems to vanish if you play the discs on a Panasonic

Strange that its only ever the real cheapies that offer a full standards conversion from 50hz to 60hz and vice versa. Results in poor quality of course

I'm just wondering if there's some sort of flag on the discs that the players messing up somehow because some discs, like Attack The Block are 60hz. I'm usually pretty sensitive to judder, I can see it even with 60hz movies from the 3.2 pull-down. I can only really see a difference with NTSC dvd's being converted to 50hz, with blu rays @ both 50hz/60hz the judder is about the same to my eyes.

I'm just wondering if there's some sort of flag on the discs that the players messing up somehow because some discs, like Attack The Block are 60hz. I'm usually pretty sensitive to judder, I can see it even with 60hz movies from the 3.2 pull-down. I can only really see a difference with NTSC dvd's being converted to 50hz, with blu rays @ both 50hz/60hz the judder is about the same to my eyes.
I assume a player working correctly will be able to tell if a disc is 50 or 60. It's a basic function that I've never heard of before anyone having problems.
Get a new player as its not something you are likely to be able to fix.

Most players don't include a conversion between 50 and 60 or vice versa so I would suggest that whatever controls this has gone tits up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom