Region A Blu-ray - is a US PS3 the best option?

ScarfaceJoker

Hi folks

I am currently the somewhat-proud, somewhat-frustrated owner of a Limit Blu-ray player, which I bought solely for its region A compatibility.

Having been pleased with the performance of the discs on my TV and my importing options, I am thinking about a more reliable and permanent solution for Region A in this country (and possibly others…see below).

Having done some research already, it would appear to me that the best option for me would be a US PS3. The universal power supply is of significant interest to me as I’m in a “transitional” stage of life at the moment and could end up in Australia, Canada or the US (or end up staying in the UK) so the ability to take the console anywhere I go tips the scales in the PS3’s favour.

I had a couple of questions though and I figured this was the best place to ask! :)

1) Firstly, do you guys agree that the PS3 is the best way to go – especially given the fact that I could end up in a variety of different countries in the next few months?

2) I know the PS3 gets firmware updates via network connection/wireless – will the connection recognise I have a US PS3 regardless of what country I’m in?

3) Is the new “slim” model as good as the original? Or should I try track down an original one?

4) And lastly, where is the best place to buy one from? I know people have used videogamesplus but they don’t seem to have any in stock at the moment…? Any suggestions would be helpful!

If I’ve missed anything crucially important and/or if there is any other info you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

ScarfaceJoker

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
The PS3 is possibly the worse choice you could make for a Multi region BR player! :D

It's a great player but will probably never be multi-region for DVD or BR..

What's wrong with the player you have I thought it was MR?? :confused:

ScarfaceJoker

Sorry - probably didn't make it clear in the first post - I just want a Region A only player - not bothered about it being multi-region, just region A!

The Limit, whilst an impressive player for the money, still has tons of issues both with the actual build quality and disc playback (the latest being no sound on District 9) so I'm looking for an alternative for Region A only (I already have a region B only player).

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
:D Ahh.. sorry - speed reading ;)

1) Firstly, do you guys agree that the PS3 is the best way to go – especially given the fact that I could end up in a variety of different countries in the next few months?

They can be nosiey, it's expensive just for BR playback but they are good BR players.

2) I know the PS3 gets firmware updates via network connection/wireless – will the connection recognise I have a US PS3 regardless of what country I'm in?

I'm pretty certain it will but can't say for sure, the dust on mine gets thicker everyday.. ;)

3) Is the new “slim” model as good as the original? Or should I try track down an original one?

I believe so in regards to BR playback, in fact slightly more features as the slim can send HD audio as Bitstream to your receiver for decoding. But in general you are missing some backwards compatability on games, no memory card readers etc... It's a cheaper smaller and lighter unit with Bitstream!

4) And lastly, where is the best place to buy one from? I know people have used videogamesplus but they don't seem to have any in stock at the moment…? Any suggestions would be helpful!

They seem to be flogging them everywhere! :D AFAIK, one of the mobile phone companies was giving them away, dunno if it's still on?? But there's plenty of packages available, games or BR's. Try the bargain forum on here, or google it! :smashin:

The only other BR machine with 'dual voltage' that I know of is the Oppo, another great player, but it's not as cheap as the PS3, but would cover all bases for power and regions!

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
some Sony players are universal voltage, even if they are not marked as such. Worth checking them out as well.

ScarfaceJoker

Ooh...that's interesting - any ideas which ones? The S360 per chance?

Quick edit: I chose the PS3 because it is (seemingly) the most reliable option. But any Blu-ray player with a multi-voltage solution would be great! I don't want to go down the chipping route due to my (hopefully) pending location issues.

Last edited:

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
I don't know about the latest x60 generation, someone here must though...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom