1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region 4 DVD's

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jay2000, Sep 15, 2000.

1. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!

OK, I have a modded LG 2330P and because the player converts R1 discs to a PAL signal I get a slight 'skipping' effect during horizontal panning scenes, because of this I only really buy R1 discs that are not available in this country. I'm assuming that R4 (Australia) PAL discs will rid me off this skipping problem. Anyone know of any sites that ship R4 discs to the UK???

Hope you can help...

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jay2000"the player converts R1 discs to a PAL signal I get a slight 'skipping' effect during horizontal panning scenes"

That sounds like a shocking fault. My Samsung converts (if I like) to PAL 50 and there's none of the problems you mention.

Are you sure the settings are correct in your DVD player and that the TV is set up right too?

I wouldn't accept the LG if this is normal (i've not heard this complaint before I think).

------------------
    Gary

A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

www.aphasedplasmarifleina40wattrange.com

[This message may have been edited by Jack Straw, MP]

3. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gary, there is no fault with the player as I was aware of this skipping problem from the review of the player given by HCCO. It stems purely from the fact that the player has to convert the NTSC signal to a PAL one and according to a friend of mine it also happens with his Samsung! It only happens on some discs and to be be honest, is hardly noticeable - my girlfriend thought I was seeing things because she couldnt see a problem at all - but then again what do THEY know! [​IMG]

I had to go with the LG as my TV cant accept an NTSC signal, I know the Samsungs convert to PAL also but the HCCO test bench seemed to favour the LG on overall performance.

4. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again Gary,

Just for info, here's an excerpt from the LG review:

"The only serious bugbear I can find with the 2330 is the lack of pure NTSC output. The 2330 instead converts any NTSC discs into PAL output, and in the course of this conversion there's definitely a slight downgrading of image quality. The region-free Criterion edition of Peter Weir's Picnic At Hanging Rock looks a little softer and horizontal movement a little jerkier from the LG than it does through a player that permits the pure NTSC signal to go to a multi-standard TV."

I suppose I should have used the word 'jerky' rather than 'skipping' - its not as if its missing whole frames or anything!

Hope this clears up any confusion.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If your TV is PAL only but has RGB (via Scart) you will not need to convert NTSC discs, the picture will be shown in color if you have a DVD with RGB output and a fully wired SCART cable connected!

------------------
    Rgds,
    Reiner

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try www.ezydvd.com.au
    These guys are pretty good and ship to the U.K I've heard. I don't go into the shops to buy DVD's anymore even here in Australia. They are just to expensive compared to places like boxoffice and ezvdvd.

7. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Neil, I actually came across that site yesterday and placed my first order, You lucky Aussies! Even with the shipping costs I'm saving at least £5 on UK prices.

What I would also like to know is if anyone knows of any websites in Australia that give a comprehensive list of censor cuts made to films released there. (ie which actual scenes may have been cut from movies passed in Australia). I dont want to be ordering DVD's that may be cut more heavily there than here in the UK...

I know its a long shot, but I bet one of you guys comes through!

Cheers

Jay

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know, there is never anything cut in our theatrical or dvd releases of films in Australia. It seems that we are the easiest country in which to get your whole film shown at the cinemas and on DVD. It's not like the U.K where almost half of a film is cut because of the w**ker censors. Although, I am aware that about 4 minutes of the technical aspects of American football were cut from the theatrical release of Any Given Sunday because of a general lack of interest and relavence to the general public over here.

9. nickoff

nickoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your right, the Oz censors let a lot get thru, more so than US or UK.

I have seen an Oz site that compares R4 and R1 disks for content and quality (widescreen transfer, extras etc). Will try and find it again and advise.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi All,

There is an Aussie equivalent to the BBFC website, which may help you all out. I highly recommend that you download their Annual Reports, (which run to 216 pages each, in Adobe Acrobat format), for info on specific films. Their site is at:
    http://www.oflc.gov.au/index.html

Pooch

11. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pooch, I had already checked out that site and although it has a massive database on film ratings and content warnings, I could find nothing about any cuts made. From what you guys are saying though it seems like the Aussies are quite a liberal bunch...

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to make an apology. I just recieved my copy of the Men in Black LE from Box office. As I was watching it, I noticed on about 4 occasions that it was slightly different to my video copy from Australia. This is of course is contrary to what I said earlier.
    Please allow me to elaborate.

1. In the scene where Will Smith chases the alien through the Guigenheim(?) Museum, we eventually get to the roof of the building were the alien decides to jump off. In the Aussie version he dematerialises into a purple cloud of some description, but in the U.S version he plummets all the way to the ground just like Alexander Lemming.

2. In the scene where Edgar gets skinned by the bug, the U.S version has a shot of his skin being thrown out on to the dirt before it is dragged back into the crater. This shot is not in the Aussie version.

3. When the exterminator goes into the barn to do his job and the bug, in Edgar, goes in and confronts him, Edgar eventually inserts a spray device into his head. In the Aussie version, we do not see the overhead shot of the actual insertion of the device into his head that is found in the U.S copy.

4. In the cafe where the two ambassedors meet for lunch and are eventually killed by Edgar, there are 3 separate shots in the U.S version. Two are of each individual ambassedor getting the thing inserted through their necks(not at all seen in OZ) and the other is a fairly immaterial shot of Edgar snarling. In the Aussie version there is only 2 shots. One with Edgar with his arms out, obviously killing them, and the other is of the ambassedors heads crashing on to the table in front of them.

There is one more scene that is slightly different, I think, but I cannot remember the details. The movie got a PG-13 classification in Australia, so maybe that is why it was censored. This is the only case I can think of where this has happened, so if anyone can shed some light on to this matter, it would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

------------------
    That's pretty lame Milhouse!

13. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neildo, the cuts and changes you mention were made by Columbia TriStar Australia to reduce the film's rating to PG, who feared an M rating might hurt ticket sales, not due to any official pressure from censors. All of the missing footage/altered dialogue has been reinstated on the Region 4 DVD, which is now rated M.

Adam

[This message has been edited by Adam Barratt (edited 21-09-2000).]

14. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to Neildo!

I can HIGHLY recommend ezydvd.com.au - I ordered American Pie - Collectors Edition on Sat 16 and it made its way to my UK doormat on Thursday 21st! Excellent service!

Anyone interested in R4 discs give them a go, you wont be disappointed.