1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region 3???!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jammods, Feb 27, 2003.

1. jammods

jammods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Gf wants Notting Hill on DVD Its available for £8.99 R2 or £5.99 R3, bearing in mind she only wants to watch the film and isnt interested in "extras". Is the £3 saving worth it will we lose any quality?

Thanks

Steve

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I too had this problem myself - unfortunately reviews of Region 3 disks are hard to come by (presumably because when they are done they probably aren't in English).

In the end I went for the R2 (presume you're looking region 3 on cd-wow and R2 on Play?) from Play which is the dual-encoded region 4 and 2 disk - didn't want to risk the R3 as I have heard that some transfers for that region aren't the best.

If anyone else knows of a source for R3 reviews let me know!! And yes I have checked DVD-Basen

3. jammods

jammods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah correct on those sites mate, I'm not sure £5.99 is very cheap but £8.99 is not exactly gonna break the bank either.

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the R3 it is fine it is DD5.1

you can play with what sounds like a dubbed turkish soundtrack

their version of the first song by elvis costello is hilarious

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Living in Region 3 land I rekon to be carefull. Some local releases (which differ in each R3 country!) are very poor in terms of quality and extras.

Only the releases by the big studios or those which are re-coded R1 releases (with Asian subtitles and perhaps language tracks added) are IMHO worth getting, beside those movies which are not available on R1/R2 of course.
    It's easy to tell if you stand in front of the shelf but when ordering through the net you gotta be careful.

7. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have noticed sometimes the Picture is not as good also alot
    come in 4:3 size and not W I D E ,

But like you say if it's just the film to watch then Money also counts ( So Me The Money )

:D

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a shedload of R3 Columbia Tristar DVDs in the CD-WOW sale and they were all IDENTICAL to the R1, including covers, specs, everything. Just had a '3' icon on the cover that was different.

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Be careful, sometimes they appear 100% identical but aren't.
    E.g. Titan A.E. R3 does not have the DTS soundtrack but instead some Asian language track and additional Asian subtites.
    Apart from that I think it's safe to assume the quality of the DVD will be identical to the R1.

However I have seen too many locally produced DVDs (mind you, not pirated ones!) in Malaysia and now here in Taiwan which were of poor quality.