Region 2 Japanese Review: Underworld: Extended dts Edition

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Sigismund, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    [​IMG]

New reviewer Seth Gecko takes a look at Underworld: Extended Japanese dts Edition. Despite the fantastic audio and image quality, the movie itself remains fairly ordinary.

Read Seth's review here

Review disc supplied by [​IMG]

2. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you could pick up the cheaper Dutch extended edition with DTS (Supremacy Edition) although only 5.1 and includes the theatrical edition as well. Your review didn't mention if it was 6.1, I seem to remember seeing this advertised as DTS-ES 6.1... Is that incorrect?

3. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    The Dutch Supremacy version is only 5.1 and the Japapnese is 5.1ES (flagged as 3/3.1 on my amp) - I have the Supremacy edition and the Japanese ES mix is better, but the Dutch 5.1 is fine. However the Japanese image IMO is definitely superior - it's very much a case of personal preference. The Korean release was the cheapest with DTS, which I picked up for £7.99 on CD-WOW (IIRC).

I don't however have the US 2 Disk Extended edition nor the just released UK extended edition for a complete comparison - but of the US standard edition, Dutch Supremacy, Korean standard edition and Japanese editions of the movie, I'd get the Japanese first without hesitation, not just for the sonics, but the picture quality also.

Hope this helps!

4. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's just a shame that Japanese DVDs have such a hefty premium on them!

5. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    True and fair comment - however I purchased Aliens Ultimate Edition, Gia and Tomb Raider 2 (DTS) from cdjapan (where the Underworld review disk came from) last week. They shipped last Friday, I received them this Monday and no customs charges, so I'm not moaning at all!

If I get my mits on the US or UK extended editions, I'm quite happy to comment on how they compare to the Japanese edition (although it is the only DTS-ES edition out there). To me, it's a little bit like the Kill Bill V1 - the only way to get the extended version without B&W is to get the Japanese edition. If that's what floats your boat - then go for it, otherwise the Supremacy is the only alternative (AFAIK) with the extended cut in DTS. Maybe one day it'll be standardised cuts and mixes, but I'm not holding my breath!

6. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Would it be worth getting the extended version at all ?? i am a pretty big fan of the movie as it stands.

what i am trying to say is it worth me buying the extended version when i have the normal 2 disk R2 version :)

Cheers.

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    That's definitely a personal opinion. All I can say really is to reiterate what I wrote in the review. When I saw it originally at the cinema (the standard edition) it was for me, rather messy. Having seen the extended edition, the extra scenes made it more coherent.
    If you purchase the Supremacy Edition, assuming the Japanese edition is a tad too costly, it's a dual disk set containing both the original cut and the extended cut so you get the best of both worlds.
    I'd honestly say the extended edition is the better movie, but it's purely subjective.

8. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    well being a fan i think it will be worth the extra, i think i will go for the Jap version if i can source a copy :)

9. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    If you notice at the top of this thread, Cd Japan would be able to assist you, as they sent the review copy (and I've just ordered Dawn of the Dead 2004 DTS from them - so they're recommended!)

10. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yea i checked the site out but it says the first press is sold out and that i would not get the bonus features that were on the first press :/

it says i would get the regular edition, its kinda confusing.

11. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    No you'd get the 2 disk edition with the extras - it's just the metallic box apparently.

The review copy was in a slipcase sleeve with a holographic foil cover, so if you can live without the packaging, the contents would be the same.

12. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    yea i could live without it but i would rather have it as its somthing that would make it extra special :)

Thanks for the help (again hehe)

13. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speaking as a fan of the original movie the extended edition is much better than the theatrical version

14. Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have both of R1 edition and R2 Jap's edition, when I first watched R1 through my Panasonic AE500, I felt the image is so nice, then I got the R2 Jap's copy, it's much better for the image and that DTS-ES soundtrack, it's absolutely worth to buy.

15. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Lurker & Dreamcatcher

Thanks in agreeing with me about the transfer and the longer cut being the better version. It is definitely a cracking DVD from an image/audio POV - definitely the best transfer of the movie that I've seen.

16. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't comment on the Japanese version but the extended edition is a much better film feeling more complete.

17. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    This may seem like a dumb question but, how can a different version of the same DVD be so different in quality?

I have noticed though that many Jp releases tend to have extra stuff that other versions (regions) dont have.
    (ie Biohazard and Chronicles of Riddick having DTS)
    But having a better picture? It seems a bit much since all the DVD versions should come from roughly the same source?

BTW, collateral just came out here (japan) and doesnt have DTS?
    The R1 I got a while ago does have DTS. A bit weird!

18. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,052
    You better believe that different regions do use different source naterial for the DVD release, a few off the top of my head, Leon is better on R3 than R1, Fifth Element is better on R1 than R2 by some margin, Jurrasic Park is amazing on R2 Japan than the R1 dts version in the picture stakes.
    It all depends on which companies own the rights in different territories and where they source their prints. There can be some major differences when you look closely.