1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

region 1 vs region 3

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by 7 of 9, Mar 23, 2005.

1. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in general witch of these is the better choice, i mean am correct in assuming that region 3 apart from a few cases is a cheaper version of region 1.

thanks from 7 of 9

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,174
    It all depends on the company releasing the title. If its a Fox title then the Region 3 release is usually better than the Region 1 release because Fox in the US have a funny habit of only releasing 1 Disc Editions of films which next to no extra features where as the Region 3 release is usually identical to the 2 Disc Region 2 release packed full of extra features and sometimes £5 cheaper than the Region 2 and release earlier, in the case of AvP the R3 was available before the R1 and months before the R2.
    Disney also seem to do high quality releases on Region 3 which are in most cases identical to either the Region 1 or Region 2 release.

The best thing to do is to check www.dvdcompare.net as it will list most Region releaes of a particular DVD and let you know of any differences, if there are none and the Region 3 is cheaper then go for it :smashin:

3. Ger

Ger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Same goes for Sony. Hellboy & Spider-Man 2 R3s was exactly the same as the R1, but cheaper (and different subtitles!)

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I have been buying R3 releases from most companies for some time now. On most cases the quality is better or at worst equal to R1. Again in the majority of cases the release has all the extras of R1 which tends to come out later...Overall great value at lower price!

5. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say at worst a new release on region 3 especially of a Hollywood movie is equal to a region 1 but generally I find they are better because they include a DTS soundtrack. The price savings and in some cases better packaging makes region 3 DVDs value for money.

A couple of recent DVDs I have purchased include resident evil apocalypse which include a full Bit rate DTS soundtrack and the new Leon anniversary edition which not only included the director's cut with DTS but also the theatrical version in a digipack case plus the same extras from the latest region 1 release!