1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region 1 .vs. Region 2

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by NickLovett, Dec 13, 2002.

1. NickLovett

NickLovett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need some advice regarding the quality of the picture on Region 1 discs compared to Region 2 ?

I have a Panasonic 42 inch Plasma Screen connected via component directly to a Pioneer DV747A progressive DVD Player. Up until recently I have only ever bought Region 2 DVD's but I was advised by a friend that to get the best out of my setup, I should purchase Region 1 DVD's. I therefore went out and purchased LOTR in Region 1 from Play.com and the picture did seem to be very detailed indeed, and I noticed that my progressive scan light on the front of my DVD came on for the first time ???

It is now approaching Christmas and I intend to go out and purchase at least 10 DVD's from my wish list but before I hit the shops I would like to know if their is any technological reason why Region 1 DVD's should potentially give me a better or enhanced picture ??? I'm really not too fussed about added extra's other than picture quality and the availability of DTS is always nice etc

Any feedback would be much appreciated
    Many Thanks

Nick

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like your DVD player can't do progressive PAL. If it could (might be a mod available, but I don't know enough to say - better off asking in the progressive scan forum), there's no noticeable difference between progressive PAL and progressive NTSC anyway, other than the difference in the quality of the disk transfers themselves (sometimes one region gets a bad transfer).

Re R1 vs R2 in general, gotta search mate. It's been covered so many times it's untrue. :)

Also, use www.dvdcompare.org.uk to compare regions. It will let you see what the differences are between features on disks (including DTS) and also tell you which UK R2 DVDs are censored - and you gotta care about that ;)

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Your R1 disk is NTSC progressive which your DVD player is able to output to the plasma, hence the improved pcture. Your player can't do PAL progressive (PAL Prog. is brand new and only a couple of players do it so far). Go for R1 disks for the best possible picture in your setup, if as SG says, the actual transfer of the film is a good R1 transfer in the first place;)

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ??do the discs have to be prog scan encoded or something then??:confused: I thought prog scan just played around with the fields in a regular signal from regular discs.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I'm a bit confused now.

Was that basis of that link saying that some dvd may be interlaced and that running those kind through a progressive scan player would make the quality worse?

Does the player detect this automatically and not turn on progressive scan for those discs?

Is there any info on the dvd case that states wether it is prog scan or interlaced encoded?

Mike

7. NickLovett

NickLovett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks for the informative feedback. From what you guys are saying, the only reason why my R1 DVD's seem to outperform my R2 discs is because my DVD player uses progressive scan with them which improves video quality.
    How much improvement will this progressive scan make as I think my DVD and Plasma are top quality, so will it make a prog scan R1 disc with average encoding outperform a R2 disc with no prog scan and good encoding ???
    Sorry to keep going on but I have searched the R1 .vs. R2 threads to death and everyone seems to offer a different explanation. I've got a couple of 100 quid burning a whole in my pocket and I want to get the best DVD's possible ?

Cheers
    Nick

8. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    prog scan should eliminate 'jaggies' do a search for info on these, they are annoying and most obvious on horizontal pans. I would imagine dvd images free of jaggies would look great. Many people also say R1 dvd masters are superior because the equipment used to produce them is more advanced than that used in the UK.

low level noise is my current hatred which shows itself in wide, scenic type shots and in night-time shots, not sure whether this is due to poor disc mastering or whether a better player would eliminate this problem.

9. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    No. The quality of the image you see (regardless of region settings & prog. scan) starts with the quality of the pressing on your DVD. Unfortunately the masters used vary in quality enormously and also from region to region. It's a bloody minefield :mad:

Most films are very good quality IMO, some are just absolutely fantastic (particularly the latest animated films such as Shrek and Monsters Inc.) while others are just plain poor. Also your plasma will show up these poor transfers even more than a telly would, so do a bit of research on the websites first.

10. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    To add to this most new DVD disks are encoded in progressive scan - R1 are usually NTSC progressive and R2 are PAL progressive owing to the different telly formats used in USA vs Europe. Your DVD player Nick will be best with NTSC progressive ie. R1, but R2 will be only very very very very slightly worse! :)

If the transfer is good, buy either R1 or R2 with confidence (censorship aside) :cool: