1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region 1 Review: Red Heat: Special Edition

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Sigismund, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    [​IMG]

Andrew Smith takes a look at the R1 Special Edition release of early Schwarzenegger action flick - Red Heat

Read his review here

Review disc supplied by and shipping from [​IMG]

2. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why has this DVD review being given an overall score of 7 out of 10? When picture quality is a 5, sound quality is a 5 and extras is a 5... The film itself was given 7.

Surely a generous 6 would be more realistic given the negatives of the release, or a mean average of 5.5 out of 10!

3. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I see your point Bom Bom... but surely the movie itself should be given a little more "weight" in the overall scheme of things? I mean, how would you expect us to score a DVD if we thought the movie was worth a 10, image 8, sound 8 and extras 0... by your calculations that would mean giving an overall score of 4!!! ;)

Sigs

4. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If scoring the disc overall were merely an average of the previous scores, then we could just let you work it out for yourself. Like all the other scores the overall score is a personal opinion as to whether the disc is desireable or not. I take into account whether I have seen better versions with better quality or more extras and how much I enjoyed the movie despite the discs shortcomings.:)

5. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In your hypothetical, according to my calculations of a mean average like in my previous posting it wouldn't be rated 4 out of 10! It would be given a 6.5 out of 10 for having no/poor extras. (10+8+8+0=26....26/4= 6.5)

I think the overall score should reflect the shortcomings of the DVD as opposed to how much you enjoy the film. If I see an overall score of say seven I expect high all round scores to deserve the full seven points. Not let a good film overly sway a poor DVD and let's face it this red heat special edition is a poor DVD package and should be marked more accordingly. I mean after all you are reviewing the package as a whole not the sum of its parts.

Going slightly off track if the DVD being reviewed was a one disc Superbit then the DVDs should not score 0 For extras but instead n/a because they are not supposed to have extras and this should not affect the overall score of the disc .

6. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Gawd knows how I got that wrong :D

Anyways, I still disagree with you! Things aren't equal and therefore shouldn't be given the same importance... at the end of the day the score is simply a shorthand version of the review to which it refers :)

I think you're missing the point that any review can only be a personal opinion - after all what Andrew or Phil think is a good set of extras, I may consider pretty poor! As long as there's some form of reasonable consistancy that's all that's really important :)

7. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously there is going to be personal interpretation of what a good picture, good sound and a good set of extras are but when you mark down the sound, picture and extras to the extent in this review the overall score of seven does not reflect the overall package. While my mean average may not truly represent the package either it gives a truer reflection of the DVD than the current score does.

I think you have to remember that this is a DVD Review not a film review and every aspect should be taken into consideration to enhance or detract from the main feature. A crappy film can gain weight from a quality DVD release in that its extras and picture/sound can push the overall DVD score higher, in the same way that this DVD should be marked down for poor sound/picture/extras

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    ANY dvd regardless of it's so called "superbit" status should get a big fat 0 if it doesn't have any. Hence our way of scoring, because we wouldn't necessarily give an "overall" mark to reflect the zero extras score...

9. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Not in my book :)

10. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you couldn't give a crap film with a good DVD package high overall marks? That doesn't make sense. Oh well, anyway I think my previous posts mentioned a valid point and I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

11. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    How strange. I don't quite understand your grief... if the reviewer thought the supplemental features were good he/she would mention it in the review and score them accordingly! If at the end of the day, all the director/actors/filmakers were talking about in the extras was a poorly executed movie how/why would the movie "gain weight"?

I think you're right in one area, though... we seem to have differing views. :)

All the best,

Mark

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    Err no, why would you want to do that? :confused:

13. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Surely the quality of the movie is of most importance, followed by the quality of the presentation (sound and picture) followed by the extras (hence the term extras) Good extras would add to a good movie but I don't know of a single DVD I own (and that is close to 500) where I bought a bad movie because it had good extras.

14. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Nail and head sir. :thumbsup:

I Have just over 400 dvds and havenever watched an extra yet :eek:

15. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Frankly adrenochrome you are usually not missing much. I watch loads of extras for review purposes and they often become tiresome. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that Superbit (or something like it) is the way to go. I would much rather see a good movie with stunning presentation than watch hours of extras. After all we have all invested a lot of our hard earned to get the best sound and picture quality in our viewing rooms that we can afford.

16. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Agreed 100% :thumbsup:

Adrenochrome.