1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region 1 playback - Playstation 2

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by haf, Mar 15, 2002.

1. haf

haf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PS2 console & combi TV. I have just bought the DVD Advantage pack to allow me to play DVD's from R1. My problem is it appears in black & white on screen using Scart cable. I tried another modified DVD player which played fine.

Any ideas !!!

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you outputting composite video or RGB from the PS2?

and do you have the scart plugged into the RGB scart on the tv (or not)?

I'm guessing that your tv is not fully NTSC compliant and cannot show NTSC in colour. The other dvd player is probably using the RGB scart which bypasses NTSC and gives you a normal picture. However, the standard PS2 connection is composite video and cannot handle RGB and that is why you are getting black and white. If you buy an RGB scart for the PS2 (such as the excellent Blaze scart lead), you should get round this problem.

3. haf

haf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doubledoom

Thanks. First chance to reply !

I am outputting rgb from PS2. I have scart plugged into RGB scart on tv. I think you are right regarding tv - it mentions playback only in Ntsc mode - from video only ?

Other dvd player , a Yahama 700 (no scart socket) was hooked up to combi via composite.

Can you explain ' bypassing Ntsc and gives you a normal picture '
    I just presumed a R1 disc would not play on an inappropriate tv.

Just as an aside when using a 16mb memory card I cannot use my Sony remote control for dvd functions. Does it have to be a 8mb one and if so, a Sony ?

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may have the RGB option enabled on the PS2 but unless you have purchased an RGB scart, you will not be viewing in RGB. The scart that comes with the PS2 is composite only.

Very basically, RGB ignores the PAL & NTSC coding and this means that if your tv cannot handle NTSC fully, you can use the RGB scart connection and signal to give you a colour picture.

As i said, my guess is that you have the PS2 set to RGB but dont have an RGB scart and as the tv is not NTSC compliant, you are getting a black and white picture.

If this is correct, you only need to get an RGB scart lead. The best one is the Blaze PS2 RGB scart which can be purchased at Game or online at gameplay or other retailers.

If the other dvd player can use composite via the phono lead, you could try plugging the yellow phono from the ps2 into the same socket and see if you get colour or black and white. However, the picture quality is far better via the blaze RGB scart.

I'm not sure about the memory as i don't have the sony remote.

5. haf

haf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again. Just one last point.

The scart which is RGB ? (says on the box although also mentions tv must be able to operate in NTSC mode) was purchased with the DVD Advantage pack (including Region X software & remote control ) and not the supplied lead. If this a RGB scart & not working, is RGB scart faulty ?

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure as to why then.

Under normal circumstances, RGB would negate the problem with NTSC.

I'm out of ideas at the moment. Hopefully, someone else can chip in too.