1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

region 1 payers

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ged, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Does any one know of a U.K based supplier of U.S region 1 players?I used Amazon Z shops last time but they now do not ship internationaly.Thanks,Ged.

2. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sorry to push the question!

3. Bonzer Belle

Bonzer Belle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it you don't want a multi region? Also remember that a US only machine might well be 110V only.........and a decent step down transformer ain't cheap......or pretty.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A step down transformer for a small load like a DVD player will be rather small in size and cheap (but not pretty, I agree ;) ), but don't forget that most US players do NTSC only and have no SCART/RGB.
    That said I would rather recommend a multiregion machine or is there any particular reason why it has to be a R1 player?

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just buy a miltiregion DVD player mate. You can get players from £99 so it won't cost you that much. IMO buy the Toshiba SD220 with the multi-region chip fitted for £150. Best budget DVD player about.

6. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks.
    I have a US player which I bought earlier this year, a Toshiba 4700 with prog. scan etc, the 510 wasn't about then, I am very pleased with it.
    I decided on a second player as it seemed a safe bet regarding RCE for albiet some extra dosh.So though not dismissing a multiregion player outright I am trying to find a uk suplier next time before I go for a modded one.
    Ged

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ged, out of interest mate, where did you buy your US DVD player? I'm looking for a Philips Q50, US or Asian model. If you have a reputable site, it would be great if you could post it here. Cheers.

8. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    NeoBlade, I went to amazon.com and went through a "z-shop" named apipowwwernet, though it now claims to not ship internationally. A site that does ship is www.dvdcity.com but it is slow to stock current models, my SD4700 has only just hit their shelves!
    It took a while to find the amazon shop as the search engine would find results for S D, SD, S-D etc.
    Good hunting,
    Ged.

9. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ged, cheers mate. I had a loot at Amazon.com before... Its a pain that they don't ship internationally anymore >_< And yeah the search engine on the site is awful. Took me ages to find the Philips Q50. Going to have a look at DVDcity in a bit more depth but it seems that there isn't a lot in stock at all... I might have a look at these "Z-Shops" as well. If I find anything I'll post it up.

10. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    NeoBlade, just found a Q50 at an amazon z shop for $401 - £254 but will not ship, seems a bit pricey?How much is the UK version?

11. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found one here but I don't they will ship either >_< Sods law. Its not that expensive when you look at what it can do. For starters it a looker ^_^ Secondly it can do NTSC progressive scan and with a hack it can also do PAL progressive scan. With another remote hack it can be multiregion and RCE compliant. Then add the fact that it can play music CDs rather well and has MP3 support.

The next rival that can do NTSC prog.scan only is the Toshiba SD510 which was £400, but that requires a chip to become multiregion and it cannot do PAL progressive scan.

The Philips Q50 is a right bargain alright since you would have to pay twice as much for a DVD player than can do both PAL and NTSC progressive scan. Which is probably why its tricky to get hold of.... The only place I know of if Hivizone.com and it seems that I'll be ordering it from there unless another site pops up.

As for the UK version I think its about £250 or £300... It cannot do progressive scan though because Philips took out the chip for the european models.

12. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

Might be worthwhile looking at dvdcity.com. They do a reasonable range of dvd players and ship internationally.

Brian.

13. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bxd, thanks for the suggestion but I've already been there and they don't stock it. Actually they only have a limited option of DVD players on sale but at least they will ship. I guess I'll have to keep on searching...

14. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    NeoBlade, amazon has changed its site lay out, I can only access z shops from my "favourites" on aol, but it is workable but when I tried for U the site that stocked did not ship. So, it takes me back to ;does a UK supplier stock US players? DVD City do but my 4700 was state of the art in Feb.and only £200. I only rent R2 DVD's.

15. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't think of any UK suppliers that would stock US DVD players, if I did the Philips Q50 would be mine ^_^ I'm going to ask some retailers though if they are willing to import for me. I'll hit you back with the results once I get them.