1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region 1 DVD protection

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Bucko, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Bucko

Bucko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just went over to my favourite DVD selling website, clicked on a couple of forthcoming releases (Ali to name 1) and was concerned to read that the Region 1 discs are coming out soon with Regional Coding Enhancement (RCE) preventing them from being played on multi-region DVD players. I buy Region 1 because generally the product is better, more extras, not because I get it 1 week earlier (or 2 weeks later in Harry Potters case). What's going on?

2. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regional Coding was started by the Film Studios to protect their interests in foreign territories. For example a film studio may distribute a film they made or released on DVD in their domestic market (e.g. the U.S.) themselves which is an expensive business. If this film does not do well in the dom market they may decide to sell the rights to distribute it in foreign territories (i.e. the rest of the world) to make a quick buck and cut their losses. This foreign distributer they sell to, is usually another U.S. company or Studio (but not always). Any money this film makes outside the dom market goes to the company who bought the foreign distribution rights. So if you purchase the R1 (U.S.) version of the film and you live in the U.K., in the foreign distributers eyes you are "doing" them out of a sale which they could be benefitting from.

This sort of cross distribution goes on all the time and happens for other reasons as well and can get quite complicated.

RCE is just another way of stopping people purchasing DVD's from territories that they don't live in.

RCE is pretty much old news now and companies that can hack machines to play R1 disks can usually hack machines to play RCE R1 disks as well.

Hope this helps.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If your mod allows manual selection of the region code (e.g. via remote) then you shouldn't need to worry, as well some mods still can play RCE discs in auto-mode ...

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,277
    also RCE is nothing new, its about 18 months old.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,034
    ....and, for what it's worth, my multiregion modded Pioneer 737 plays RCE titles no problem. So does my £99 Dansai from Tesco. Although both of these machines feature manual region code selection, they both play RCE titles in their "auto" or "bypass" modes ie I don't have to change settings.