1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region 1 DVD in UK/Germany?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by potato, Oct 24, 2002.

1. potato

potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know where can I buy Region 1 DVD here in Europe? For example UK or Germany? I would like to know some reliable online stores that sell R1 DVD.

Thanks.

2. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
  3. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Also try http://www.play.com/ I have never had any problems with them, all R1 items are sent from Belgium, R2 from Jersey.

4. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    Oh yeah, forgot about Play :D

5. potato

potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much lentini and rct for the site given.

rct:

are you sure that R1 items are sent out from Belgium? I tried to placed an order and got a warning message saying that the items will be shipped out from North America and I will be subjected to all other additional fees.

I try to order R1 DVD from within Europe is to avoid German custom because I think it is not allowed to import R1 DVD into Germany (I'm not 100% sure about this, but the shop that I normally hired r1 DVD was raided by police last month and all r1 DVD confiscated, therefore I don't have r1 DVD anymore and need to buy them myself :-( )

lentini:

do you know where are the r1 DVD from CDWOW and Future Entertainment shipped from?

Thank you very much once again.

6. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    Not sure about CDWOW but there's a Hong Kong postage thing on the package.

I think Future Entertainment ship from North America.

It's illegal to sell or rent Region 1 DVD's in Non-Region 1 territories but it's OK to import them for personal use.

7. potato

potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like CDWOW has all sorts of region codes, Gladiator is with R3 :), looks like they offer whatever the cheapest regardless of region code, perhaps it's really from HongKong.

"It's illegal to sell or rent Region 1 DVD's in Non-Region 1 territories but it's OK to import them for personal use."

It sounds a lot better now, so I think I can order directly from US. The last thing I want is to have something to do with German custom, I still remember what kind of trouble I had few years ago when imported a NTSC -> PAL signal convertor from Hongkong, don't want to go through it again :)

Thanks.

8. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    potato, I've ordered from Play many many times and I can confirm the R1 DVDs are sent from Belgium.... the message on the website is just so that Customs don't get angry!

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maidstone, Kent, United Kingdom actually ;)

Not that I use them anymore of course :rolleyes:

10. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    So if they DO ship from Maidstone, Kent, it shouldn't have taken me 12 days to get me DVD's :confused:

Off Future Entertainment's site:
    Please allow up to 10 days for goods to arrive from date of despatch before pursuing any item(s). All goods are directly despatched from North America and, whilst the majority arrive within 2 working days, some items may be subject to customs clearance hold-ups and can take slightly longer to reach you. This notice does not affect your statutory right to replacements for lost mail.

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it says that - they have to legally ;) But check the parcel next time you get the item. It's UK first class pre-paid postage with no customs declaration form. ;)

In the days when I used them, I waited 3 months for one order once so 12 days sounds good to me. They send whenever they feel like it Lentini but also they ship from N America to Kent in bulk which introduces delays. Oh, and if you decide to cancel because you're not happy with how long it's taking, they'll keep 2% of your dosh too. That's customer service eh ;)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40219

12. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455

Shifty sods :p