Region 1 dvd doesn't play - is it my old tv?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ray-s, Jul 14, 2005.

1. ray-s

ray-s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips dvd recorder downstairs with an up to date tv - plays region 1 perfectly - upstairs I have the same dvd recorder but an old tv. I can't play the same dvd -is it because the old tv is not NTSC compatible do you think?
    Ray

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,648
    Does the DVD player display an error message or does it carry on as if it's playing OK ? If the player displays a message then it's either not multi-region or it's set in the wrong region.

3. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi Ray,

I've actually had a similar conversation to one of my work colleagues in the past couple of weeks about this.

My friend's TV was playing back NTSC content but only in black and white - the frame rate wasn't a problem, just no colour information. If you're connecting by SCART or simple composite/phono leads though, even if it's NTSC, and the player can definitely handle non-R2 discs then you should at least hear the content playing back on your old TV.

As John says is the player upstairs definitely multi-region? Could you try the upstairs player on your TV downstairs to verify the player accepts the R1 disc? After that, try the listening test via your TV or is there a headphone port on the player?

Hope that helps!

Colin

4. ray-s

ray-s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys - it's exactly the same player - A message comes up straight away - the message says something like "disc error - player will not play disc from this region" - Looks like I'm going to have to try it downstairs - what a pain - it looks like a war zone at the back of my tv with dvd/video/frreview etc etc!
    I'll let you know - by the way, Amazon have a printout that tells you how to convert to muti region - I followed it to the letter but still doesn't play.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,648
    I'm sure that error must be to do with the DVD player rather than the TV.

6. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I'd agree - the message on the DVD player definitely points to that. What about re-applying the multi-region steps?