Region 1,2,3 Picture Quality Difference?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TankTopLover, Sep 21, 2005.

1. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I have noticed that a huge amount of dvd reviews on this site are region 1 ?

Is there any difference between regions in terms of quality? Could someone explain :lease:

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    There are many quality variables on DVD's that makes the question far from simple to answer. NTSC region 1 has its flaws, Pal region 2 does also. Add to that the fact that the same film may have different distributors depending on region, and that while one may have used a very good transfer the other may not have and it becomes more complicated. Then add region specific editing (no headbuts in UK, no flying planes into tall buildings in US, no Catholic blasphemy in South America etc etc) and it actually becomes a headache. Personally I have stuck to region 2 for ease of access and the ability to play them on any equipment I own, present or future. And as a format, Pal isn't too bad as long as you don't hear perfect pitch!

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    I find the Far Eastern discs are usually the best quality, but it varies from disc to disc.

Probably more Region 1 reviews as they usually come out on disc in the States when they are still showing in theatres over here.

4. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    No headbutts!!??
    Im sure i have seen plenty of PAL films with headbutt scenes?

Thanks for the explanation,makes sense now.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    Maybe you have, but a PG will suddenly become an 18 just because there is a headbutt, so sometimes they cut the scene out to keep a wider certification.