Region 0 discs

S

stewarth

Is it me or are there more R0 discs being released.

In particular there has recently been quite a few US discs released of older films for under £15 and it seems many are R0 rather than R1, for example Gremlins SE, Maniac etc.

Is there anywhere that states whether a disc is R0 rather than R1.

Wasn't R0 supposed to be for older films and things such as documentaries etc. that were not subject to cinema release dates and such like.

I have noticed an increasing number, i have so far put it down to my being increasingly aware of these kind of things, but maybe it is more than that.

ad

Originally posted by stewarth
Is it me or are there more R0 discs being released.

In particular there has recently been quite a few US discs released of older films for under £15 and it seems many are R0 rather than R1, for example Gremlins SE, Maniac etc.

Is there anywhere that states whether a disc is R0 rather than R1.

Wasn't R0 supposed to be for older films and things such as documentaries etc. that were not subject to cinema release dates and such like.

You said yourself that these are older films.
The original reason given for the existence of regional coding was to preserve staggered theatrical release dates.
It seems to me that there is no point to regional coding on releases of older films. Perhaps studios are realising that all they are doing by applying RC to older titles is limiting their audience/sales.

By that logic, it is an inevitable consequence that, as time goes on, the proportion of R0 films will decrease as our current day new coded films become the future old films (but with coding)

Coding no longer bothers me, but i do of course still feel it should be banished forever!

Ad

Be careful when offered a region 0 film.

They are often crappy pirate versions with crap picture, sound, subtitles.

Before you buy, research.

yeah, the 1st feeling you get when you see a R0 bargain should be...... whats the catch!

I was going to be original there but failed to think of something!

Basically an R0 is going to be a film which the studios dont much care for. Are there any worthwhile titles on R0 release?

Im waffling agains!

Ad

Originally posted by buns
Basically an R0 is going to be a film which the studios dont much care for. Are there any worthwhile titles on R0 release?
Yes. As examples: Criterion releases, Shallow Grave, Lost Highway .......

R0 doesn't mean Asian

R0 doesn't mean pirate

Ok, R0 will be either crappy or from a producer with his head properly screwed on!

That ok for you?

ad

But usually it does.

I have found that of the R0 discs I have encountered, around 80% have proven to be dodgy asian copies. I am so peeved that I avoid R0 unless bought from HMV etc.

So best exercise caution - the sort who sell dodgy R0 tend to take the money and run.

Stick to reputable & legit sources and you won't go wrong.

Originally posted by buns
Are there any worthwhile titles on R0 release?

Im waffling agains!

Ad

Day of the triffids.

Old but still good.

Originally posted by Gojira
Stick to reputable & legit sources and you won't go wrong.
That's the point. It's nothing to do with R0, it's where you buy them from!

I buy all my DVDs from Play.com which do not say whether a disc is R0 such as Gremlins SE. Re-Animator Millenium Edition, they just list it as R1 as it is a US disc.

I'm not really thinking of DVDs listed as R0 but discs listed as R1/R2 that are actually R0.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom