1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? regarding RPTV mirror

Discussion in 'TVs' started by scooby do, Apr 12, 2005.

1. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Toshiba service agent are saying they can correct a slant on a Tosh RPTV by adjusting the mirror. Is this true? Tv when displaying widescreen material with bars has a 12 mm tilt. I reckon moving the mirror wont make a difference. Discuss

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I'm not very familiar with RPTV sets but as the light from the individual RGB crts will have to pass through a reasonably complex path involving lenses and mirrors in order to overlay them on the screen, then I would have thought the reasoning behind the service agents suggestion is correct. Regards, yt.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    Is this a CRT set, or a DLP set?

CRT:
    I'd have thought that it would be either

- the physical position of the tubes themselves or
    - the position of the image on the tubes

that needed adjusting, not the mirror, which I suspect is fixed. The former would be a mechanical adjustment; the latter electronic.

DLP:
    I would have thought that it is the position of the projector itself in the bottom of the set that needed mechanical adjustment.

Either way, 12mm is, IMO, far too much, and needs fixing or replacing. Still under warranty? Don't accept no for an answer. Try another service agent if necessary.

4. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Cheers guys. TV is CRT and yes 12mm is way over tollerence. I own 2 CRT RPTV and Geometry is nigh on perfect for both of mine. This one belongs to my Father. I think the service agent is going for the easy option. A mechanical adjustment of the CRT's is required but then this would then need to be followed up by electrical adjustments. They are hoping to bodge it by moving the mirror thus not having to do any electrical adjustment. Would moving the mirror do anything though?

5. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Is this more like what is required?

Attached Files:

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, there are a number of issues here. If only one crt picture 'colour' is tilted then 'yes' the adjustment you've illustrated when performed on the that 'colours' deflection yoke will correct its tilt (you would simply be rotating the crt raster. However, by doing so you will have altered the registration of that crt raster compared to the rasters on the other two crt rasters so the registration of the picture produced by the crt whose deflection yoke has been moved will have to be adjusted to match the remaining two crts (most likely electronic but on a cheap set up it could be simple magnets) Since you did not say that the registration of the picture was poor I am assuming the entire picture is simply tilted ?, and, if that's the case then I would still say the service agent is on the right track. However, as I say I do not have any experience of RPTVs. Regards, yt.

7. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Red, yes you are correct it is a general picture tilt not just on one colour. Cant remember how the mirror is fixed within the Tosh WH36 but I would be very surprised if there is any way of alterting the postition of the mirror. Does someone have access to the service manual to see if there is any mention.

8. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Update, Set has gone away for repair and has been gone for 1 week. Repair agent are saying that they are awaiting a part!!!! I don't think a part is required just simply needs adjusting. Unless they have broken something in the process. Dont really trust them specially after the mirror adjustment saga.