1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regarding PLII and Scart

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Slimchandi, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've been looking to upgrade my integrated sub-amp for around £30 for a while now. I've come across the Pioneer 301, looks like a good amp, armed with plenty Scart connections for my gear (Dvd, freeview and Gamecube). My issue is with the Gamecube, as one reason for purchasing is to get the PLII from the Gamecube. The Pioneer has no phono inputs (2 opt and 1 co-ax AFAIR), so if I connect the Gamecube up solely with the RGB Scart cable, will the sound transmitted by the Scart cable be enough to decode the Pro Logic from? I know normally I would require a Scart+Phono lead, but in this case the amp is question will not take phono.

If this won't do what I'm looking for, can anyone suggest a sub £150 SLIM av amp (sorry for the emphasis!) that will. Scart switching is not vital, but a nice extra.

Thanks

2. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Slim. SCART carries with it all the stereo audio and visual signals produced by the source equipment, which in your case, is the Gamecube. As long as your Pioneer receiver has a built-in PLII decoder, any stereo sources ought to be played back using the PLII decoder, and this includes not just your Gamecube but TV, VCR, satellite, DVD, etc. as well. You don't need SCART AND phono simultaneously - just one or the other will do. The relevant question here is whether your receiver has a PLII decoder or not. It'll be fairly obvious - if it is, the 'Dolby Prologic II' logo will be displayed conspicuously on the receiver.

Regards,
    reservoir51

3. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks! I've been trying to find this out for ages, it's been the one thing holding me back from purchasing. Hopefully come the new year I will buy the Pio 301, I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again Res51

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Before you buy the Pio 301 just do as reservoir51 says and make sure it has Dolby Pro-Logic II.