1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rega

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Spenny jnr, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Spenny jnr

Spenny jnr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for pre-amps, power-amps and cd-players.
    does anyone know much about them? are they any good and what are their best products to go for?

Thank you please.
    :)

2. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Rega make some very very good hifi. http://www.rega.co.uk/

Do a google and you will get lots of info.

The entry level CD player is the Planet which has gone through several versions, the original still fetches £200 plus and is something of a classic. The new Planet 2000 is £500 and the remote £25. The top CD player is the Jupiter at £1100.

http://www.hifiplus.com/t-rev10-2.html

http://www.audioreview.com/CD,Players/Rega,Jupiter,2000/PRD_125474_1586crx.aspx

They have 2 integrated amps, Brio £300 and Mira £500. A pre Cursa £500 and power Maia £500 along with the excellent monobloc Exons at £500 each. If I hadn't already bought MF3.2 amps I would have the bought the Exons after a demo last year when they saw off a number of other amps, to my ears anyway.

Depending on budget a Planet, Mira would be a good start with the Planet or Jupiter, Cursa and 2 Exons being a bit special.

You need to audition with your own speakers, preferably at home and see if you like the Rega sound.

One of the best one make systems I have heard was a P9 / RB1000 / Exact / Jupiter / Cursa / 4 x Exon / R9.

HTH

Gus

3. Spenny jnr

Spenny jnr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers!
    I'm currently looking at a system comprising of:

• Planet CD Player
    • Radio3 Tuner (not sure about this one yet)
    • Cursa3 Pre-Amp
    • 3x Maia3 Power-Amps
    • KEF Reference201 Speakers + Stands

Looking at around £6k for the gear + cables, interconnects etc on top.
    (next year's project)

4. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    When I listened to the Exons the Kef Ref 203 was one of the speakers we used, gave a very good sound.

I would go 4 x Exons (£600 each now I think) rather than 3 x Maia personally and drop the Radio if it meant getting a Jupiter.

Unless you have to have standmounts I would look at the R9 and 203 as alternatives. Also impressive are some of the Dynaudio range.

£6k gives you a lot of scope I would def go to a dealer or two and demo some alternatives - Naim and Cyrus for example. Quite hard buying a system from scratch, sometimes going one brand or mainly one brand works well but a dealer should be able to demo a few systems made from various manufacturers which is more than the sum of its parts.

Gus

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Spenny,
    Rega.....Aaaah! Nostalgia returns. I personally love Rega. The CD players are absolutely great. Having said that there's a lot out there for 6k.
    I would lose the radio in favour of something cheaper. I think Denon do some decent radios at a fraction of the price. At the end of the day it's only radio! IMO
    Monitor Audio Would be an excellent match for Rega The GR10's would sound very sweet. Good prices for second hand if you shop around. Or go for floorstanders (Sounds like there's a reason why you haven't done this!) PMC FB1's would really be good. Another good match is JMLAB.
    However if I was spending 6K I think I'd look at the following:

Rega Planet Transport
    TAG DAC 20 (new) or S/H Chord DAC64
    Exposure Classic Pre
    Exposure Classic Power x2 (Add to them later if you wish)
    Monitor Audio GR10

If you like the rega sound this is similar only cleaner.
    I'm not slating Rega at all I think there equipment is great but when you start to rack up power and pre amps there's a lot better on the market.
    This is of course only my opinion....

6. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi
    Thought I would put in my two pennys worth - not quite in the £6K bracket my self but took my speakers along to a shop - demo after demo and hours later I decided upon a Arcam AVR200 bit dated now I know, still sounds nice.

We tried the arcam power amp, cyrus, rotel, various others none seemed to give the extra lift/power and keep the sparkle and clarity of the Arcam that I liked, and then tried the Maia3 - I have it powering the fronts. Have been thinking going for another demo to bi-amp the fronts with 2 maia3's ..........

Good Luck and Enjoy