Question Rega Planar deck running slowly

heyho

About 3 years ago I decided to get my 25+ year old Rega Planar 3 deck out of the loft. I bought a new belt and stylus but found that the original motor was passed it and the deck slowed down dramatically after a few minutes of play. So off it went back in the loft.

Anyway I decided to bring it out again and treat it to the 24v motor upgrade. I also purchased a new belt. The fitting of the new motor was 'easy' and I was up and running in no time. I also purchased a new belt for it and a Rega Planar Carbon cartridge and stylus. Sadly though all is not well. I timed a track (Stranglers 'Walk on by' - 6 minutes 22 seconds") and it is playing constantly at 7 minutes. i tried lightly oiling the centre spindle but this made no difference.

I have also tried slightly moving the motor towards and away from the spindle (which jiggers those stupid double sided self adhesive pads by the way, will have to buy some more double sided tape) but that hasn't made any difference.

I've also cleaned and oiled the centre spindle.

Has anyone any ideas please?

Last edited:

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
If you tug on the black pulley, does it come off? Don't be scared of pulling too hard - the whole point is to find out if it is loose. If it comes off, it'll need a spot of superglue to reattach it.

heyho

If you tug on the black pulley, does it come off? Don't be scared of pulling too hard - the whole point is to find out if it is loose. If it comes off, it'll need a spot of superglue to reattach it.
I will give it a try tonight. Should that happen even with a brand spanking new motor unit though?

heyho

Gave the pully a good push and I heard a click and it moved down the shaft about 2mm. Restuck the motor but it was still slow. Got a 2p metal washer and put it on the platten (note: it comes with a washer but it is too wide and does not raise the platten).

Tested it with washer on and that 6min 22sec track is now about 8 seconds slow. Might live with that (1% tollerence?).

Need to get some better double sided tape and remount the motor and maybe glue the washer to the platten.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Any chance you oiled the motor shaft?

I'm not familiar with that specific model, but generally from disuse, the original oil tends to dry out, and that could cause a drag on the motor. Typically light oil like sewing machine oil is fine. 3-in-1 Oil is another common brand of light oil.

The motor should spin freely, if you feel any drag at all on the motor shaft, I would start with a couple drops of Isopropyl Alcohol to dissolve any residue. Then follow that with a few drops of Light Oil.

DO NOT use any type of spray lubricant. These are typically Teflon, and are actually dry lubricants. The liquid part is simply the carrier. When mixed with existing oil, then tend to form a gummy paste that does not lend itself to smooth operation.

Steve/bluewizard

heyho

Thanks Bluewizard. I actually used some oil that I use on my electric razor! Very light.

I have also cleaned out the spindle shaft as well with some lint free ear buds. Got a lot of black c**p out of it.

I am going to remount it with some thicker double sided tape and see how I get on. Thinking it might take a few plays for the oil to take full effect

heyho

Sorted - bought a new subplatter off fleabay and fitted it. That 6min 22sec song now plays at 6min 23sec. Happy now.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom