Rega Planar 3 Upgrades

That is the problem in a lot of cases such as 'decent' and 'within reach' both can be awkward if for example you are like me in Norfolk where good HiFi shops are a bit thin on the ground.

I’m in Norwich and depending on what you are looking for either Tony at Basically Sound or Ian at Martins HIFI will be able to help. Can’t go wrong with either.

Looked at Basically Sound and Martins some time ago. Neither offered the manufacturers I was interested in.

Looked at Basically Sound and Martins some time ago. Neither offered the manufacturers I was interested in.

I guess there will always be one or two brands that are a little harder to come by. Did you have to travel far to find what you were looking for?

Last edited:
Isn't abusing Amazon a good thing?

Whilst I understand your point, why would you abuse something you rely on? I bothers me far less than small independent dealers being abused, but the same philosophy applies - if you want to keep benefitting from what it does offer, treat it with respect.

There's plenty of very good hi-fi dealers in the UK and even if they're too far away to visit, the best are willing to work with you. I'd always rather support those.

Whilst I understand your point, why would you abuse something you rely on? I bothers me far less than small independent dealers being abused, but the same philosophy applies - if you want to keep benefitting from what it does offer, treat it with respect.

There's plenty of very good hi-fi dealers in the UK and even if they're too far away to visit, the best are willing to work with you. I'd always rather support those.

I suppose only because of their questionable ethics.

I use Amazon more often than i'd like to (usually when in need of b'day present sharpish) but I agree about using good hi-fi dealers instead and I shop local at the Audio T just down the road from me.

My this week has been a rollercoaster. Was considering upgrading my Planar 3 but by the time I added this up and that thought maybe I should go on a different tack and replace it entirely. By the time I spend say £200 on upgrades I can buy a Planar 6 for not a lot more once I have traded my 3 in.
Oh and by the way matthewpiano7 Dalis are on hold as my amp is now sitting on a bench awaiting a new volume pot!

My this week has been a rollercoaster. Was considering upgrading my Planar 3 but by the time I added this up and that thought maybe I should go on a different tack and replace it entirely. By the time I spend say £200 on upgrades I can buy a Planar 6 for not a lot more once I have traded my 3 in.
Oh and by the way matthewpiano7 Dalis are on hold as my amp is now sitting on a bench awaiting a new volume pot!

Sorry to hear about your amp. What amplifier do you have again?

I'm currently enjoying the Dalis again, but there are system changes afoot. I was having some thoughts about my own RP3 and how much it would cost to replace the cartridge with a new Elys2 or a new Exact plus add a NEO PSU. I came to the conclusion that I'd be better going for a P6/Exact/NEO, so that's what I've ordered. It will likely be the last turntable I buy.

Thats what I did a month or so ago, sold my Planar 3 and bought an ex demo Planar 6 with the Ania cartridge. It had only been sitting on the shop shelf during lockdown and apparently had under 10 hrs on the cart so seemed a good deal and better than spending any more on upgrades for the P3.

I'm really pleased with my choice and P6/Ania/Aria/Brio is proving to be a great combo and not surprisingly it sounds better than my P3 with Goldring 1042 cart; however, I still think the P3 hits the sweet spot in terms of value for money.

I am still considering a move to the P10 so my RP8 Apheta 2 will probably be in the classifieds again soon...if of any interest.

Sorry to hear about your amp. What amplifier do you have again?

I'm currently enjoying the Dalis again, but there are system changes afoot. I was having some thoughts about my own RP3 and how much it would cost to replace the cartridge with a new Elys2 or a new Exact plus add a NEO PSU. I came to the conclusion that I'd be better going for a P6/Exact/NEO, so that's what I've ordered. It will likely be the last turntable I buy.
My a good combination, was only this afternoon was looking at a 2ndhand combo RP6 with ANIA MC and FONO MC with a NEO PSU. I have never been massively impressed with the Elys. The fact it shipped with the turntable was a fait acccompi. Plus there is no stylus change, all very protective on Rega's part.
My amp is the Analogue Audio Puccini SE. The LH channel volume pot was noisy. Was okay when in position but moving it annoyed me. Needed changing as switch cleaner did nothing.

Thats what I did a month or so ago, sold my Planar 3 and bought an ex demo Planar 6 with the Ania cartridge. It had only been sitting on the shop shelf during lockdown and apparently had under 10 hrs on the cart so seemed a good deal and better than spending any more on upgrades for the P3.

I'm really pleased with my choice and P6/Ania/Aria/Brio is proving to be a great combo and not surprisingly it sounds better than my P3 with Goldring 1042 cart; however, I still think the P3 hits the sweet spot in terms of value for money.
I would not disagree with that re the P3. I have often thought though with Rega once you take away the arm what is left is in fact rather mundane if not downright, how can I say, rather matter of fact engineering. My Planer 3 has quite a few years on it but since then Rega have brought out this mod, that mod etc etc to try to upgrade a pretty poor design regarding the motor. If one looks at the motor setup the electronics leaves a lot to be desired. Getting around 110v ac from a 230/240v ac sytem
my granny could have designed something better. As I say remove the arm and what you have left is rubbish. Ouch!

Last edited:
As I say remove the arm and what you have left is rubbish!

Even the arm really. Ok mine was 30 years old but had been in storage for 29½ of those and I had to get the horizontal bearing replaced. It’s very cleverly made for the manufacturer and I admire how he kept the same things going for decades. It’s really an excellent example of how much of hifi lacked innovation for a very long time.

My a good combination, was only this afternoon was looking at a 2ndhand combo RP6 with ANIA MC and FONO MC with a NEO PSU. I have never been massively impressed with the Elys. The fact it shipped with the turntable was a fait acccompi. Plus there is no stylus change, all very protective on Rega's part.
My amp is the Analogue Audio Puccini SE. The LH channel volume pot was noisy. Was okay when in position but moving it annoyed me. Needed changing as switch cleaner did nothing.

Fingers crossed you will soon have the amp back in action.

I'm going back to Rega with my amp, and trying to make a final decision between the Brio or spending a little bit more on the Elex-R.

And then when you have some more spare cash, you can start upgrading the P6 instead :smashin: ;)

Even the arm really. Ok mine was 30 years old but had been in storage for 29½ of those and I had to get the horizontal bearing replaced. It’s very cleverly made for the manufacturer and I admire how he kept the same things going for decades. It’s really an excellent example of how much of hifi lacked innovation for a very long time.
That's your Christmas card from Rega this year gone walkies. :)

Why a Rega amp?

They're the ones I like best. The only amp I've heard that competes with Rega, to my ears and without getting into silly money, is the Naim Nait 5si. I wasn't at all happy with the Roksan K3 which I found clinical and unnaturally forward.

Yes again it is all very personal and very very subjective. I was only thinking yesterday was so much simpler in day gone , because I had no money to spend on hifi, kids, house got in the way.

Hi all. Quick update. Just fitted the AT-VM540ML. First few spins and I have to say it sounds like a different turntable. Blows the Elys away, in my opinion. I’ve got a 750SH to test as well, but doubt I’ll be able to justify the extra ££

Amp now back to fully working. Couple of minor mods to the Rega power supply, and I use the term power supply to in fact mean a couple of capacitors in my case. After which will be back listening to the Dalis.

Hi all. Quick update. Just fitted the AT-VM540ML. First few spins and I have to say it sounds like a different turntable. Blows the Elys away, in my opinion. I’ve got a 750SH to test as well, but doubt I’ll be able to justify the extra ££

Superb, thought you’d like that. I’ll give you £5 for the SH :D saves you sending it back. I know I know too generous!

Amp now back to fully working. Couple of minor mods to the Rega power supply, and I use the term power supply to in fact mean a couple of capacitors in my case. After which will be back listening to the Dalis.

Excellent. No blowing it up now!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom