Rega Planar 3 DIY Setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by vshah84, Aug 6, 2013.

1. vshah84

vshah84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Peeps, I am having a bit of a dilemma. After looking around for so long for a turntable and getting square eyes from looking at thread after thread on various forum sites, I managed to buy myself a Rega Planar 3. Not got it yet, but I want to build a retro audio system complete with speakers, amplifier and turntable. So I got the turntable, but I have no idea what amp to buy and what speaker to pair with it. Budget around £250 for amplifier and not too sure about the speakers. Currently looking at the Pioneer SA9800. I am not an audiophile, no way near, but I do appreciate good quality and warm sound and listening to music. The type of music I will be listening will be jazz, good vocal artists such as Adele, and 70-80s rock. Open to ideas and much appreciate your help in advance.

2. vshah84

vshah84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying a Beomaster 4000, paying approx £150 for it.

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,963
    For your budget, I'd stick with either Marantz or Yamaha. One of the following maybe worth investigating further:

Marantz PM6004
    Yamaha AS500

The Rotel RA10 is also worth consideration if you can push to it?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  4. vshah84

vshah84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply and I will look into them, but I was hoping to keep the setup all retro. I like the look of the retro stuff and I am only hooking up the TT and maybe a valve tuner to it as well.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,963
    I think the issue will be in relation to dry joints and general wear and tear in relation to the older gear on offer to you?

Have you consider using a valve amp? This would look relatively retro even if purchased as new. You'd need some pretty sensitive speakers to go with such an amp though.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,963
    You should also be looking at classic late 70's NAD, Rotel, Naim and Greek amps if wanting to go with what would have been used with the original Planar 3. The NAD 3020 “series 20″ from 1979 would be the most obvious option or the 3120 as shown below:

[​IMG]

The 3020 is very ameanable to modification and you can still have them modified in order to update one.

There's also the A&R Cambridge A60 with its wood finish :)

[​IMG]

or maybe just look into using a vintage pre amp (restored and reconditioned) and have that on display while hiding away a more recent power amp out of view?

7. vshah84

vshah84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Dante. Cambridge A60 sounds good. Any idea on what type of speakers I should get to pair them to? I like to listen to a warm sound, not the harsh sharp sounds of some modern speakers.

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,963
    Try Acoustic Energy or Tannoy.

What kind of a budget do you have for the speakers and do you have a preference for bookcase or floorstand designs?

The Acoustic Energy AE1 would be excellent, but I've a feeling that this will be well beyond your budget? Maybe even consider the Cambridge Audio SX-60? The Cambridge Audio SX-60s aren't exceptional but they are exceptable at an affordable price. They's also go with your retro look and blend in with the A&R Cambridge A60's looks ;) Another option with a classic look to them would be Quad's QUAD 11L Classics.

9. vshah84

vshah84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would prefer floor standing speakers, and I am not looking to buy right away so budget, well approx 300-500 is looking good. What do you rekon to the the Beomaster 4000 amp?

10. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,963
    I've never rated B&O stuff. I'd rate the A&R A60 as being a better option for use with the Rega Planar.

Bookcase speakers will be more inline with your retro look. Your budget is very restrictive when it comes to sourcing suitable floorstanders. Most of the cheaper floorstanders don't look right in a retro setup. The ones who's looks do match the criteria all seem to be priced well beyond your budget.

11. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,963
    If it were me then I'd either go with the Cambridge Audio SX-60 or the QUAD 11L Classics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

either set up on a good pair of stands.

12. vshah84

vshah84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If budget was not an issue, what would you ideally want to pair with the Rega?

13. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,963
    The AE1 speakers and if you still want floorstanders then the Spendor A5, but the Spendor speakers are a pair to set up and need lots of breathing space. If your listening space is small then forget them.