Rega Planar 3 Belly up?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by alfablue, Jul 2, 2004.

1. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I changed the belt on my P3 for a new one (an original Rega part), just because it was a bit old. Since the change the speed has been up the spout, and merely the drag of the stylus slows it right down. I initially suspected maybe a little "finger" oil on the belt / spindle so i cleaned everything, no joy, then I replaced the old belt, no improvement. :thumbsdow

The belt doesn't appear to be slipping, so is my motor :censored: ?

The fact that this coincided with the belt change is weird - I guess its that old adage - if it aint broke... :nono:

The P3 was manufactured in 1995, and is "low mileage"

I don't understand why the motor is acting this way rather than failing completely - or could it be another component? Any suggestions?

I know I can upgrade the motor for £85, but I want to be sure about the cause first.

Many thanks

2. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible you've got oil on the motor pulley? Give everything a good clean, then put some French chalk/talculm powder on the belt (either one). If still no good, contact Rega, or if you bought it new from a dealer, see if they have any ideas.

Another thought- is the mains connection OK? Could you have loosened a plug at some point?

3. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    It's also possible that the motor pulley has become loose and is slipping.

Try holding the pulley when the motor is switched on (for a short time only). You should be able to tell if the motor still rotates and the pulley slips.

I think the pulley was originally a friction fit. If it is loose then take it off completely, clean the pulley and the spindle with meths or similar and apply a small blob of araldite to the pulley hole. Refit the pulley and leave it until the araldite sets.

Good luck.

4. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys

Tried all the above, and I think Warpaint hit the nail on the head! The pulley just came off in my hand (as they say). Just sorting out the araldite now! Maybe the forum saved me £85! Will let you know.

Thanks again

5. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Result:

While I was having a "dry run" reassembling the pulley on the motor spindle I found it was a very firm fit (required gentle use of a vice to seat the pulley). The result was so good that I didn't need to reassemble with Araldite, and it now works a treat. It is amazing that it had eventually worked loose when it is such a tight fit - but there you are.

Looking at the assembly / motor mounting I can see how much the deck would benefit from the upgrade, so I will get one eventually.

Anyway - all sorted! Many thanks for your help and for replying to my original message.

Regards

Richard