Rega Planar 2 - replace Carbon cartridge with Audio-Technica AT-VM95SH?

peter312

Established Member
Reaction score
Good Evening

I understand that it can be troublesome upgrading the cartridge on the latest Rega Planar 2 due to the RB220 arm have no VTA adjustment and a fixed anti-skate.

From what I can tell, the Audio-Technica AT-VM95SH tracks at 2g which is the same as the Rega Carbon and the two cartridges are the same height. Has anyone tried the AT-VM95SH on the latest Planar 2 and if so, does it work OK without skipping?

Many thanks

Have a mate who's just replaced the Carbon on his RP1+ with the VM95E with no problems.
He mounted it safari forward in the headshell as he could and everything else left as is. He's double checked the alignment and VTF bandits bang-on.

As theVM95 range are all designed the same way, I think the SH would be exactly the same.

Thank you. My worry is around the fixed anti skate that comes on the latest Planar 1 and 2. I gather it has caused some people problems with skipping when they fit certain cartridges. I think the RP1 has adjustable anti skating - would you happen to know if your friend had to adjust it at all?

Many thanks

I tried a VM95E on a RP1 (fixed anti-skate) with no problems.
No shimming necessary. No tracking issues.

Slightly more detail from the VM95e than the conical AT3600 (Rega Carbon).
You would hope the SH stylus would be a little better again.

Good luck.

Thank you. That was my thinking too

Thank you. My worry is around the fixed anti skate that comes on the latest Planar 1 and 2. I gather it has caused some people problems with skipping when they fit certain cartridges. I think the RP1 has adjustable anti skating - would you happen to know if your friend had to adjust it at all?

Many thanks
As @Apollo83 says - there's no problem with the AT VM95 range - they're a straight swap for the Carbon (I think, for any Rega MM cart).

Lots of folks swap the AT VM95 Series onto Rega's (the Carbon is actually made by AT and based on the predecessor to the 95).

I've gone a step further and am adding an Exact to my P2... it arrived today!

If you want to change cartridges don,t buy a rega

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom